Sunday, July 12, 2009

"Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a weaner!"

As Davis' first birthday approaches, so does the end of the crazy whirlwind adventure that is breastfeeding. I had NO idea one year ago that I would go the distance with the nursing thing. I mean, I wanted to do the best I could, but had the bottles and formula ready just in case. When I was finally ready to quit, he wouldn't let me.

Fast forward to today... Davis is drinking a 20% formula/80% cow's milk mixture for all but his night-time feeding (and the occasional lazy afternoon feeding) and taking it all from a big-boy cup! We have come a long way. The weaning schedule has upset the sleep schedule quite a bit (necessitating a middle of the night wake-up the past three nights) but we are patiently working through it. I hate the sudden interruption, but love the snuggling, rocking, and singing. Teething has made the process even more... special.



It seems that he's one step closer to being a big boy. He no longer needs his Mommy for nourishment or comfort in this way and that's sad. He turns one on Tuesday and I plan on making Tuesday night the very last night I nurse him. [Oh my goodness. I started crying when I just typed that.]

I can say three things for sure:

1) We came a long way, baby!
2) I am glad to have my body back.
3) I am sure going to miss it.

It's been hard and tiring, and sweet and amazing, painful and suffocating, and bonding and wonderful, hot and embarrassing... it just depends on what day you asked me. It has been a huge lesson in patience, selflessness, and giving up control, and for that, I am a better woman for having persevered.



post signature

9 comments:

ren said...

I love the blog title and your long hair. :) Davis is getting so big! I pray for moments like that (embarrassing and all) in the future!

Ann said...

I will certainly be thinking of you Tuesday night. I already know how hard that will be for you. It's crazy how much you can miss such a bumpy road.

Steph said...

Congratulations on making it all the way to a year. It is such a bittersweet milestone.

Kristin said...

I can't believe it's already been a year. Having been on the breastfeeding road for 3 months I can say congratulations (and actually know what I'm talking about!). You have done a great job. :)

Julie said...

I knew you could do it all along! So glad it proved to be such a wonderful journey and provided you such a great sense of accomplishment. I can definitely relate to it all! Steph is right- very much a bittersweet milestone.

Tom H said...

Congratulations to you and super Happy Birthday to Davis!

Other than that, I'm going to leave this one alone.

Melissa's mom said...

Cracked me up, Tom.

Anonymous said...

And now the saying is true: "There's no such thing as a free lunch."

Trey

Kayla said...

Your hair looks sooo good!! I have never seen it that long before. :)