Thursday, July 9, 2009

Happy Birthday, blog.

It's crazy to think I have been writing on this thing for TWO YEARS! Sure beats watching television. And housework.

Jeff keeps reminding me that I need to figure out how to get paid for writing it... while not compromising my privacy or my kids' privacy. I am not sure if it's possible. I don't want to brand my kids for profit, but the profit part sure sounds nice. I think about it a lot, but always feel like it could get out of control or become a negative thing... plus I am self-conscious about whether anyone would find it interesting. So, last night I actually had a vivid dream about it.

I dreamt that I had the blog printed as a collection of essays and someone picked it up and thought it was awesome. They published it and... yadda yadda yadda... I was soon scheduled to appear on Oprah. [Hey, it was MY dream.] I even dreamed that I needed to call Anna for a hair appointment to cover my gray. [It IS shot in HD.] Anyway, a week before I was to go on the show, there was a horrible article printed in the tabloids about me spanking my kids and I suddenly became known nation-wide as a terrible mother. Exerpts of my blog were taken out of context and being used against me. I then saw my picture there with me holding the Spanking Spoon in the air. It was all taken out of context when I was really just baking a dessert for my husband's birthday. I was so mad at myself. Why had I allowed greed and pride to take over my private hobby and creative outlet? I can't turn back now!

And then I woke up. Phew, that was crazy. [Crazy narcissistic.]

Anyway, with that, the dream is put on hold again. In the meantime I continue to record the day-to-day silliness, stress, and much laughter that make up a day in the life of this lucky Mom. I am still amazed that anyone outside of my immediate family reads along. Apparently others can relate to it on some level, and that's just icing on the cake.

I hope my kids appreciate this record of my life... of their lives. I hope they realize what these fleeting times mean to me and how I cherish every word of every chapter of the sweet sweet story that is their childhood.

To be continued...

post signature

No comments: