Wednesday, July 23, 2008

When did breastfeeding become a spectator sport?

Jack Everett, as we expected, is fascinated by the whole nursing process. Not to embarrass anyone reading this, but I wanted to record this before I forget it. Jeff and I decided we would just talk to him about breastfeeding very openly and plainly, answer all his questions, and make no big deal of it, since Jack would have to get used to it.

Additionally, I knew he would need some explanation as to why Mommy is walking gingerly and why I can't hold him or snuggle him for a couple of weeks. We showed him Mommy's incision and explained that the doctor had to open my tummy to take Davis out.

Here are some of my favorite quotes from the process:

Carefully pointing to my tummy: "Mommy, I am going to come sit with you and I promise not to hurt your crack."

"Daddy, those are called breasts. We don't call them boobs."

"Mommy, I am going to squeeze your breast so the milk will come out for baby. That's just called teamwork."

With arms out and a breast pad stuck to each palm: "Momma, look at my awesome Batman shields!"

I am hoping to really stick with it this time in hopes it will help prevent his development of food allergies. I am sure as we begin venturing out into public, there will be many more funny/embarrassing breastfeeding stories to share.

1 comment:

ren said...

The "teamwork" one had me LOL!