Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Defensive Driving... notable quotes...

Actual lines from my on-line TX Defensive Driving course:

"Elderly children are among the most vulnerable pedestrians, so be careful in areas around schools, retirement communities, and recreation areas." (Those elderly children are the worst.)

"Don't let your anatomical gifts go to waste." (referring to the Texas Organ and Tissue Donor program.)

"Good drivers should adjust their speed according to their physical condition." (If I had known it meant I'd be allowed to DRIVE faster, I might have been better about using my treadmill.)

"Many collisions can be avoided before they even happen." (This sentence brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department.)

"The eyes of experienced driver sweep sweep into curve serveral seconds before reaching it." (What?!? - and yes, that is how it was spelled.)

"Make sure the child seat harness is taut (not tight) over the child’s shoulders." (Interesting. I don't think I was ever taut the difference between the two.)

"Don't let your drinking do your thinking." (I actually liked that one.)

post signature

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have many gifts... this we know.
Apparently, you also have many anatomical gifts. Please, Melissa, don't let them go to waste.
Sandra

Julie said...

You have caused me to consult Webster to find out if in fact there is some difference between taught and tight that we were not aware of. And since "tight" is used in the definition of "taut" and "taut" is one of the definitions of "tight" my conclusion is: no, there is no difference (as suspected).
With some of the other statements that you quoted, I'm not sure why I ever doubted myself, but my curiousity got the best of me.