Sunday, July 6, 2008

Wow, a lot happens in a year.

Reading over old posts, I realized July 6, 2007 was the day I composed my very first blog entry. This is my 152nd post. (Holy cow.) Hard to believe it has been exactly a year since I committed to recording the happenings in our family for Jack Everett to enjoy later in life. The truth is he will most likely be mortified when he is old enough to read the embarrassing moments I have plastered on the Internet for everyone to see!

It's been fun re-reading about taking Jack to his first movie, remembering how hard potty-training really was, and reflecting on the emotions surroundings certain events in my life. Initially, the goal of my blog was for record-keeping... a digital photo album with captions for my kids. It has turned into so much more. It has been a way to stay connected with loved ones far away, a way to encourage other Mothers who are also in the toddler-hood "trenches," and a sort of therapeutic hobby for me when I am the one who needs a "Time Out." Did I mention it is also a socially-acceptable way to avoid housework?

Thanks to all of you who read my random musings on young family life. I am often quite surprised that people are even interested. If you have considered starting a blog or a journal of some kind for you and your kids to enjoy later in life, it's never too late. To those of you who say, "but blogging takes a LOT of time! I just don't have that kind of time!" It's true - It does take time but I think it's well worth it. I am hoping that some day my boys will enjoy laughing and reminiscing about the crazy times we had. So what if they will never read a blog entry about the day their mother won the "Cleanest House Award?"

I had no idea how much I would enjoy blogging, and I am glad others have been able to enjoy it too!

1 comment:

Steph said...

I like that "a socially-acceptable way to avoid housework". So so true for me! I love blogging, too, and it is so therapeutic and I think encourages me to take more pictures and to look at my own pictures more. I cannot tell you the last time I whipped out a photo album or pictures I had printed but I often look back at my blog or look for a certain occasion.
I've enjoyed reading your blog over the past year. It is so great for keeping in touch with friends and making new ones.