Thursday, July 24, 2008

Jack embraces his new role.

I have been so impressed by Jack Everett's reaction to having a baby in the house. He genuinely loves his Baby Brother and is incredibly gentle with him. He holds him several times a day, touching him softly and giving him kisses on the forehead. He holds him for about three minutes and then says, "Davis doesn't want to lay here anymore." By the end of each of his naps, Jack Everett wants me to wake Davis up and bring him into the living room.

Here he is carefully pushing Mommy into Recovery.

Jack's "job" is to help Davis hold his pacifier in his mouth if he gets upset during diaper changes. For some reason, Jack calls the pacifier a "sippy." I have no idea where he got this, and he knows that its correct name is "pacifier." He sometimes gets flustered when Davis spits it out, saying, "Mommy, he won't sip his sippy! Why isn't he sipping it?" I explain that he doesn't know how to keep it in so Big Brother has to gently keep one finger on it. Jack replies, "Momma, I am tired of sipping him. You can sip him now." There have been some minor setbacks. When I am nursing, Jack is extra clingy and wants to sit close to me or wants me to give him extra attention. He suddenly wants kisses and sometimes starts asking me to get him something, (juice, a toy, etc.) So, for now, I tell him... "Davis is about to eat. Is there anything you need before I am in this chair for twenty minutes?" which seems to make it better.


I just love this sweet photo Pops took of Jack Everett in the hospital waiting room.

I am just so pleased with how the first three days have gone with both boys at home. I am glad I have devoted these first few days at home to just the three of us, keeping to our schedule as closely as possible; I think the transition has gone much more smoothly as a result. It is sweet to see Jack Everett in this new role. His caring and gentle disposition have been such a joy to watch and have made me and Jeff really proud. It will be interesting to see how he does when visitors start coming over and giving Davis lots of attention. We shall soon see!

No comments: