Monday, July 7, 2008

"Be careful!"

Of all phrases, this is by far the one Jack Everett hears most often from his parents' mouths. He hears it when he carries a cup with no lid, opens a door, goes down steps, holds a delicate photograph, puts plates in the sink, plays with the dog, works with glue, dips something in ketchup, writes with markers, steps onto the elevator, gets out of the tub, turns on a lamp.... I recently noticed how often the two of us say this and I wonder if he even hears it anymore.

So, yesterday, during an Astros commercial break, Jeff was headed outside to back my car out of the garage to make room for another crazy sorting project I had started. When I asked him to move it, he hopped up, grabbed my keys, and headed to the garage. When he did, Jack Everett followed behind him.

As soon as the door shut behind Jack, I panicked. "What if Jeff doesn't know Jack is out there and backs over him?!" My heart jumped into my throat. In an instant, I jumped out of the recliner (as if I wasn't nine months pregnant) and ran out to the garage. I busted through the heavy door, slamming it into ...

...the back of Jack's head.

He was obediently standing on the step, as Daddy had instructed, waiting for Jeff to safely back out. His scream was not immediate. He finally wailed, mad at me for not watching out for him, consoled only by Daddy. I felt so bad, but the image of Jeff backing the car up, not knowing Jack was there had thrown me into an instant panic. When I realized he was safe, I noticed I was sweating and my eyes had welled up with tears. It literally happened in a split second.

As a mother, I have been protective of my children from the day I have realized I was pregnant. Jeff and I work to maintain a balance between keeping them safe from harm and letting them skin their knees and learn from life's lessons. Sometimes, although we truly are trying to do what is best for them, I worry that we might be unknowingly causing them harm. What if we don't realize what we are doing until we have done it for way too long? After all, don't we all still feel the effects of our parents' well-intended actions and decisions?

God has entrusted us to care for His precious children during their lives on this Earth. It can be an overwhelming responsibility. As mothers, we mustn't try to be THE BEST, we just have to strive to be OUR BEST, seeking His guidance daily. I can't constantly second-guess myself. I WILL make mistakes. I find peace in knowing I am covered by His grace and forgiveness every step along the way.

Thankfully, once the pain subsided (Popsicle), Jack forgave me too.

No comments: