Friday, August 21, 2009

Still waiting to "Meet the Teacher."

Well, we took Jack to Kindergarten today to "Meet the Teacher." The only thing is... they are still interviewing for his teacher. Apparently the District notified the Principal TODAY at 12:30 pm that Scobee will have to fill another classroom with overflow students from neighboring schools, requiring that they hire a new Kindergarten teacher... to start Monday.

When we arrived to Mrs. Casillas' classroom (with a personalized note and picture for her from Jack), we were advised that Jack Everett would be one of the students assigned to the new teacher on Monday. I was disappointed, but he and Jeff took it quite well.

I feel sorry for Mrs. Casillas (and the other teachers on the Kinder team.) She had called each of her students the night before, had her roster completed and laminated, each desk labeled with laminated name tags, etc... and it was all about to change for her too. So the Principal assured us that there are plenty of highly qualified teachers in the applicant pool and that she would find someone who could "set up a classroom in a day." Then she told us that the person she interviewed at 3:30 today is a first-time teacher. She'll interview four more tomorrow and make her choice.

He won't be in a normal Kindergarten classroom, but they will turn the Science Lab into a classroom instead. That will take a week. So, he'll report to Mrs. Casillas' class the first week, then transition to a new classroom the second week. I know all of this bothers me more than it will bother him.

I guess I am going to have to relax and trust the process. It's incredibly hard. Mrs. Casillas told us, "In order to promote through to 1st grade at the end of this year, they need to be able to recognize their numbers up to 31 and be able to count to 100, so we'll be practicing these things every day!" Jeff and I looked at each other. Is a first-time teacher going to know what to do with the kids like Jack who have already been doing these things for a long time?

Oh well, Jeff keeps telling me, "Jack will be fine. He knows nothing else. As far as he knows, you get a new room and new teacher every week. It will not bother him like it bothers you. They'll train the new teacher on the EpiPen." I feel like as soon as he gets used to where to put his bag and supplies and rest towel, etc. it will all change, but I know he'll be fine. It just won't be as smooth as it could have been. I am not super flexible with things like this, but I know that Jack needs to learn to be. And he will. And it will be fine.

I have to be honest...the urge to home school crept in again tonight. I cannot transfer my anxiety to Jack so I am praying that I can relax and that God will send the perfect teacher for our unique but ordinary little boy. I appreciate you joining me in prayer for our Principal in her selection process this weekend.

One more thing. We are the ONLY parents (of 25 in his class) who indicated that their Kindergartner will ride the bus home on the first day of school. It's a big step for him and a big step for us. We trust him. We trust the school. More importantly, we trust God to watch over and protect His little boy. Not to mention I am not a big fan of carpool lines.

... I will have to post the rest of Meet the Teacher (as well as adorable pictures we took) tomorrow. Jeff is ready for bed, and while this new "silent keyboard" he bought me has reduced the noisiness of my late-night blogging, it does not change the fact that I don't have the keys memorized so that I can type in the dark. The lamp has to go off.

Ugh. I wish we had a home office.



post signature

1 comment:

Nicki said...

No worries on teacher drama. My mom has all sorts of dramatic teacher stories from my kindergarten and first grade, and I have no recollection whatsoever. Plus, I think I turned out pretty clever. =)