Monday, August 24, 2009

Overheard on Day One:

Mommy: "How did you like riding the bus?"
Jack: "Did you know that I get to ride with NO SEAT BELT! The driver has to wear a seat belt but none of the kids! Isn't that awesome?"
Mommy (trying to exhale): "Yeah, awesome."
----------
J: "If you have something on your brain list that you want to do, you have to raise your hand. But you can't do that thing from your brain list unless the teacher says Jack."
----------
M: "How did nap time go?"
J: "I didn't close my eyes because I was trying to fold my towel the right way. Then I just folded it up into a pillow.
M: "Did ANY of the kids in your class sleep?
J: One boy did. One girl cried the whole nap time because she missed her Mommy."
M: "What did Mrs. Casillas do?"
J: "She didn't do anything. When it was time to stand up, the girl was happy again."
----------
M: "Tell Ms. Julie your favorite part of Kindergarten!"
J: "Ms Julie, We get to ride the school bus with no seat belts!"
----------
M: "Was there anything you didn't like about school?
J: "When you packed my Veggie Straws with my sandwich, they got kinda soggy."
M: "Yeah, Mommy is trying to figure things out too."
----------
M: "Could you read the note in your lunch bag?"
J: "Yes, and if you didn't write hearts and a smiley face, you would have had room at the bottom to write SADIE LOVES JACK! Tomorrow you should do that idea."
----------
M: "Did anyone else in your class ride the bus home today?"
J: "I was the only one. Everyone else had to ride home in a CAR SEAT."
----------
M (during nightly prayer): "Dear Jesus, thank you for watching over Jack at school, and for comforting Mommy and Daddy and Davis because we missed him all day, etc..."
J: "Dear God, Thank you for keeping me safe when I don't have to wear a seat belt on the bus. And thank you that Mommy got so excited to see me when I got home."

Oh my goodness, this kid is something else. You truly just never know what he'll say next.

If I had to guess, though, it will probably have something to do with seat belts.


... then it was empty lunch box, rinse Thermos, sign papers, commit my life away on a volunteer form, write check to PTA, re-pack backpack, feed dinner, bath time, update Facebook status, make lunch, quick trip to Walmart for Whole Milk and tin foil, lay out clothes, brush teeth, prayer, bedtime, blog.

We're exhausted, the house looks like a tornado hit it, and tomorrow it all starts again. How do working mothers do all of this? I will soon find out I guess. And I can't imagine - Kim and Sarah have kids at THREE different schools!


I guess we just take it one day at a time and find comfort in the fact that we are not doing it alone.



post signature

1 comment:

April M Rhines said...

Are you going back to work?