Monday, August 24, 2009

One small step for Jack, one giant leap for Mom and Dad.

When the alarm clock sounded this morning at 6:15 am, I waited in the hallway outside Jack Everett's room to make sure HE was the one to get up and turn it off. NOT MOMMY. He came to the door and said, "My clock is not working right. It is still night time. Look out the window." I explained that it really was time to get up and that we'd all get used to it eventually.



After breakfast, last-minute lunch note from Mom (is that totally uncool?), bed-hair combing, and a short episode of "Are these shoes more big boy than THESE shoes?" we were ready to wake up brother.


It was really early for him too.


Jack wrote a note to his NEW teacher and we took our picture by the door. I am hoping to take one every year to show how much he's grown from year to year. We'll see how that goes.


We parked and walked to the school. As soon as we got to the front I felt tears well up a little in my eyes. I told Jeff, "This is silly," took a deep breath, and that was it.


We took him to the Kinder hall where the kids were all lined up by class. He held my hand and whispered, "I wanted these kids to be kids that I already know." I said, "By tomorrow, you will know all of them. See you this afternoon when you get off the bus. Have fun!"

There were no hugs or kisses, just a quick thumbs up, and we turned and walked away. It was hard, but we knew it would be easier for him than if we were to join the line of parents shoulder to shoulder watching their kids, taking pictures, and crying in the hallway. We walked past the library just as the School Counselors began the 'Kleenex and Donuts' Separation Anxiety Clinic for about two dozen parents feeling the same way we were feeling.

I got a tiny bit choked up again when Jeff and I stood for the Pledge of Allegiance during our meeting with the School Nurse. Just knowing that my little Jack was standing in his classroom with his little hand on his little heart made me feel like he was right where he needs to be.

And with that, one countdown ended, and another began.


post signature

3 comments:

SA Photo Girl said...

Congratulations for making it through your first child's day of kindergarten. About taking a picture the first day of each school year, it's easy; and became expected by Emma so I was always reminded to buy film for the camera (back in the day when film was used). I can't believe I made it 13 years of taking a picture of Emma on her first day of each new school year. I'm so glad to hear Jack's first day went so well!!!

Melody said...

Aww, you made me tear up just reading this post. I heard from my college girl right after her first class, (Anatomy and Phis) and she was told that 80% of freshmen fail out of it. So, she and her roomie are devoted to make her teacher a liar, and make it through the whole year in there. Plus the teacher did not even ask about ALL the homework they had done for the class before the first day! Proud Momma moments today. Can't wait to hear about Hope's day!

Leeanne B said...

So proud of Jack (and you). I still remember exactly what we did and how choked up I was on Rick's first day of kindergarten. Rebecca's turn was a lot easier. The photo idea is a good one. We've made it seven years in a row taking pictures by the mailbox - which, by the way, appears to be shrinking at an alarming rate!