Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Tiring day...

I am feeling more worn out these days, and I think it is starting to wear on Jack Everett a little as well. Trying to rest with an almost-four-year old is hard, especially when you are committed to keeping the television turned off. Today was especially hard. Baby brother was in an uncomfortable position, Mommy was downright exhausted, and Jack was wound like a top.

I finally caved and decided to let him watch a movie in the middle of the weekday... an extremely rare treat. I promised we could watch it only if he would lay down and let Mommy rest during the movie. (Meaning: Don't ask me a million questions during it.) He had borrowed "Prince of Egypt," the animated Disney story of Moses. It was PG so I decided if I watched it WITH him, I could turn it off if it got too scary. Well, I got too uncomfortable and migrated to the living room for a while and in a few minutes heard him crying. "Mommy, come get me!!" Tears were streaming down his cheeks! "Princess Egypt is scaring me!" I said, "Honey, tell Mommy what part scared you." He couldn't even talk. He was seriously crying, holding onto me with his little face buried in my shoulder.

I felt terrible. Obviously I can't say, "Honey, Moses isn't real. It's just pretend." I just said, "God was protecting Moses. God keeps Jack safe like he kept Moses safe." He finally calmed down and explained the scary staff that turned into a big huge snake in the desert. That does sound pretty scary.

It's funny, as tired as I am today, I know that in four short weeks (or fewer!) I will be reminded of what tired really is. Lucky for me, he still took his nap from 2-4 (a nap to which I have become VERY accustomed.) He had no bad dreams.

Well, if he did, I slept right through them.

1 comment:

cristina said...

okay, i had to re-read that last sentence...it made me chuckle..."Well, if he did, I slept right through them."

praying for rest and for those naps to keep coming (a little jealous--alex hasn't napped in over a year).