Thursday, June 26, 2008

Jack's getting bigger, and Mommy's letting go.

Today I was reminded how big Jack Everett really is. When you are a stay-at-home Mom with one child (and one who protests very little about most things) it is easy to lose track of how old he really is, or what other kiddos his age are doing. Today seemed to be a day of realizations for Mommy.
  • We met Jeff for lunch at Hungry Horse and Jack dialed the number to call him at work... all by himself.
  • He got himself dressed, from head to toe, and combed his own hair.
  • When we got to the restaurant, Jeff and I decided to let him sit in a booster instead of the highchair. Like I said, he has never protested the highchair before, so we have certainly enjoyed that he stays in it. He wiggled in the booster, but did really well sitting like a big boy in the booth next to Daddy.
  • After lunch, I took him to a real Barber Shop for the first time - complete with red and white striped barber pole. He looked so big sitting perfectly still in the chair next to grown men - no need for cartoons, a fire truck chair, or candy.
  • Then, we went to Target and he asked if he could walk next to me instead of riding in the cart. I debated whether to open that can of worms, since I have NEVER (not even once) allowed him to walk in a store when a basket is available. He did great.
  • In the restroom, he could reach the sink, the soap, and the paper towels all by himself.
  • When we got in the car, I looked back and he had buckled his own carseat and put on his sunglasses. "I'm ready to go!" He looked so big with his new handsome hairdo and cool shades.

In a few short weeks, Baby Brother will be sitting in the highchair and riding in the grocery cart. I will be dressing him and buckling him in. Jack will have to do a lot more for himself. Today I realized he is much more ready than I had realized. It's kinda sad, but also exciting.

When we finally got home, he asked if he could skip his nap.

"You're big, but not THAT big, buddy!"

2 comments:

ren said...

It's definitely a plus when the big bro can do so many things, especially when baby bro comes! I'm sure you''ll find he's a great helper for the baby too. I never want Sam to give his nap up. Ever, never ever. That's when mommy's nap too ya know!

Julie said...

OK, so where's the picture of the big boy with his new haircut? I'm disappointed in you Melissa, slacking off on your blogging duties.