Thursday, June 12, 2008

Making an impact.

Okay, so another HUGE blessing today - my dear friend Tracy offered to spend her day off deep cleaning the remaining areas of my house. Hallelujah! She did the "harsh chemicals" areas including tubs and toilets, washed my sheets, dusted, vacuumed... she even cooked me a pot of spaghetti. God bless her!

Anyway, I had an Endocrinologist appointment scheduled today at 3:00pm and did not want to go. I had a lot to do, it's all the way across town, and I knew that they could simply fax the blood test results over to my Perinatologist for my appointment tomorrow morning. I really didn't need to actually go in, and wasn't feeling up for it. I called and begged for them to reschedule, explaining my situation. The receptionist flatly informed me that I would be charged the cost of the $75 office visit if I cancelled with this short notice. She was unaffected by my dramatic, pitiful story. After denying my request to speak to my favorite nurse Beth about making an exception, I finally gave up.

Tracy agreed to stay with napping Jack and continue cleaning while I went to the appointment. I jumped in the Honda, raised the garage door and WHAM!! ... backed into the front of Tracy's car parked in my driveway. I started crying when I heard the awful but familiar sound. While my car just gained a little more character, her grill is pushed in, hood slightly crimped, and front bumper cracked. I didn't even look at Tracy when I went back into the house to ask her to move the car. We hardly spoke. Teary-eyed, I drove to the appointment, trying to find a rational way to blame all of this on the receptionist.

I thought about having to tell Jeff that I had hit yet another friend's car. {I have to explain... this particular circle of friends... John hit Cari's car in his driveway, Tracy hit Heather's car in her driveway, Cari hit MY car in her driveway, and now I had hit Tracy's car in MY driveway. I called Heather to tell her what happened, and she agreed that it was only fair that she now hit Cari next time they share a driveway. Trying to make the best of it, I called Cari to warn her.}

When I arrived at the Endocrinologist, I told the receptionist what had happened and she said, "Well, good thing I park in the employee parking lot." Yeah, good thing.

My doctor gave me the test results and hit my knee with a rubber hammer. My thyroid levels were normal and completely unchanged since my testing one month ago. She was unable to offer any thyroid-related explanation to why the baby had stopped growing.

What happened next was remarkable. She kindly asked if she could pray with me. My eyes welled up, as God had laid it on her heart and she sensed that it was just what I needed. She sat down, took my hand in hers, and prayed the most comforting, reassuring prayer for me, for our tiny baby, for Jeff, and for my doctors.

She prayed that I would see the blessing in everything that happens tomorrow, no matter what the outcome. She thanked God in advance for how I would touch the medical staff who would care for me and my baby over the next weeks and months. Tears ran down my cheeks as she prayed.

I am so thankful that I made it to that appointment. I had already known that God had chosen Dr. Phillips for me nine months ago, but was reminded so clearly today that He had truly placed her in my life. When I left, Beth said, "Please keep up informed - we love you Ms. Griffin." I left there a total sniffly mess, but feeling fully ready to face whatever happens tomorrow.

3 comments:

cristina said...

what a blessing!

praying, praying, praying.

ren said...

Wowzers! Isn't God incredible to prompt a sister to pray for you. Funny that everyone is hitting each other (maybe you all should make a pact to park on the street in front of the house)!

Anonymous said...

Check paragraph two for a pregnancy brain error!

anon again!