Monday, January 12, 2009

An apple a day, keeps the doctor...

... on speed dial.



So, we tried solid food last week, starting with rice cereal. Davis pretty much hated it. He scrunched up his nose and spit most of it out. What he did keep in his mouth, he gagged until we finally stopped.

Yesterday, we tried applesauce (Stage One Gerber) and he ate half of one little jar. About 15 minutes later, his eyes looked a bit pink and puffy, and he started developing some sort of reaction on both sides of his temple and cheeks. For the next 45 minutes or so it covered his face and then began to fade. By bedtime, it was gone.

When I noticed his face starting to react, my heart sank. I got all upset and called my Mom. She said, "I'm so sorry, Sweetie. Start your new Food Journal." Oh, right. The Food Journal. Good idea. He was unusually fussy the rest of the night, but we can certainly attribute that to teething as well.

Jeff reminded me, "We know how to handle this. If he ends up having lots of allergies like Jack, we can do this... Actually, we're good at it!" He made me feel so much better, while reminding me not to jump to any conclusions. Let's pray this was a fluke.

More to come...

1 comment:

ren said...

Aw. I hope you don't have to go down that road again, but at least the learning curve's not there if you do. So far Noah's having issues with rice, applesauce, sweet potatoes, bananas, peas, broccoli and milk. Thank you for the sweet poem you sent the other day! Love from NM...