Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Behind the scenes of Week Five

We interrupt this precious display of brotherly love for a behind the scenes caption... About one millisecond after this picture was taken, we accidentally bumped Davis' forehead into Jack's lower lip causing him to get really mad and start crying. His busted lip is still healing.

This weekend, in an attempt to squeeze in some napping of our own, Jeff and I allowed Davis to sleep WAY too much during the day. I have been paying the price over the past, well, 72 hours. Now I know what Moms mean when they say "He has his days and nights mixed up." Let's just say Davis and I both watched "The Color Purple" last night, in two-hour installments ... once at 1:00 am, and again at 4:00 am.

Here's Davis wearing a big-boy collared shirt. It swallowed him up but sure was cute.

Thanks to Jeff's leadership, we made it to church Sunday for the first time as a family of four. I was looking for every excuse to stay home one more week, but it was great to see our church family again. When we got there, we both eyed the "Expectant Mother" parking space we had grown to love over the past 36 Sundays. We exchanged glances and I finally said, "I think if you are still wearing maternity pants, you can still park here." That was enough to convince him. We left Davis in the nursery during the service (can you believe it?!) and he did great. I even nursed him in the Mother's Room while we were there. I guess leaving the house with two kids is possible after all.

"WaaaH!" I think we can say with confidence that his little lungs have fully recovered!

Big Brother test-driving the bouncie seat. Davis is just now able to lay in it. Good thing the weight limit on this thing is 40 pounds.

I called in for reinforcement yesterday in the form of my niece Lacey. We spent the day holding Davis, with all the lights on, bouncing him around, uncovered - trying just about anything to keep him awake. Despite our best efforts, this photo was taken during one of the very few instances his eyes opened ALL DAY!


Jack snuggling Davis, wearing his Incredible Hulk PJ's from Lacey. The pant legs hang about four inches past his feet, but do not seem to slow him down. When he sleeps in them, he wakes up all sweaty in the morning, but does not care - he absolutely loves those things. In this pic, he is still wearing them at about 4:00pm. We do the best we can!
-----
Jack Everett talks non-stop all day long. I mean, all day long. If there is even a moment of silence, he repeats something he just said, or searches for something nonsensical to say to fill the silence. He is EXACTLY like I was growing up (well, and sometimes am now.) So, I realize I deserve it but that does not take away from the fact that it wears me out. So, over the past few days he has told me (and anyone who will listen) how super funny it is that Nemo says, "Mount Wanna-hock-a-loogie." It was funny the first, oh, ten times.

Fast forward to yesterday... In an attempt to video tape Davis' legs to record how stiff they are, Lacey and I asked Jack to be quiet for about 40 seconds. As you will see (hear) from the video... he simply could not do it. I have included a transcript below:

“Lacey, Lacey, you are not going to believe this word I heard on my Nemo CD. It is…" (Lacey: "Shhh... wait just a second.") "I am going to tell you what it is REALLY fast. It’s… It’s uh… I forgot what it is." (Lacey, very softly: Is it “Wanna-hock-a-loogie?”) "It’s not… It’s not Wanna-hock-a-loogie!...”

I finally just stopped recording and started cracking up.
-----
The lack of sleep has finally caught up with me. There just aren't enough hours in a day.

I mean, when is a Mom supposed to BLOG if she spends her time doing things like showering and brushing her teeth!?

1 comment:

Julie said...

Wow, you're spoiled- you want to shower AND brush your teeth. C'mon you know you have to pick just one and be grateful for the blogging time that omitting the other allows you. Moms of newborns get a pass for having greasy hair or stinky breath- and that's a proven fact.