Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Speaking Jackanese

With the hub-bub of the new baby, I can already see precious moments with Jack being missed or ignored... I sometimes wonder if he notices. He says something "profound" or cute and instead of the reaction he has come to expect - one of awe, wonder and appreciation - he is more often met with "We heard you the first time, honey." or "Please, please use your soft voice."

A couple of years ago, Jeff's brother Greg coined a new family term on a trip to Texas when he realized that Jack had his very own vernacular. Jack was around two years old, talking away, and as his Mom, of course, I understood and would constantly clarify what he was saying. Greg said, "Good thing I have you to translate. I haven't yet mastered speaking Jackanese."

We have since used the (hardly appropriate) term for Jack's unique sayings and phrases. So this evening I decided it was important to record some "Jackanese" terms and sayings so I can remember just how he spoke when we brought Little Brother home. I hope I will always be able to re-play his sweet high-pitched little voice saying these things in my head. I would try to record him, but I am way too exhausted and can see that turning into a hyperactive fiasco.

Here are just a few examples:

1) Benobbly - Monopoly. "I always always win when I play Benobbly Town and Benobbly Junior."

2) Ambleance - Ambulance. "Mama, when I grow up and get a humongous fire ant bite, I am going to ride in that ambleance."

3) Rasbelly - Raspberry. "If I eat all my turkey, can I have some Rasbelly Jello?"

4) Amidal - Animal. "Daddy, let's play the amidal guessing game again. Okay? Okay? Okay? Okay, Daddy? Can we play the amidal guessing game? Mommy? Mommy? Daddy said to ask YOU to play the amidal guessing game. Do you want to? Mommy? Do you want to?"

5) in the mall - of them all. "Daddy, Batman is the nicest superhero in the mall." or "Mommy, Davis is the cutest baby in the mall."

6) Big scream / Feeater - big screen / theater. "We saw the REAL Wall*E movie on the big scream at the feeater!"

7) Why can I can't? (or) Why do we don't? - Why can't I? (or) Why don't we?
"Mommy, why can I can't have another lollipop?" (or) "Why do we don't say butt?"

8) Merote - remote. "Mommy, Daddy will be so so so mad if I spill juice on the merote."

9) Crapper - claw. "That lobster can pinch you with his crapper."

10) Instruction - construction. "Wow, those instruction workers are making a huge pile of dirt."

11) Tomorning - tomorrow morning. "Momma, I will park my Batmobile right here so I can play with it tomorning."

12) Crash can - trash can. "Hey, how did my craft get in the crash can? Mommy, did it fall in there or did YOU put it in that crash can?"

It's kinda sad. His precious mispronunciations and funny word choices are becoming fewer and fewer as his speech matures. My friend Cristina wrote about how sad she was when her youngest, Alex, correctly said "orange" for the first time. I knew exactly what she meant. When Jack started pronouncing his R's and L's, I was proud, but sure did miss him saying "dwagon" and "yewwow." I no longer correct his speech like I used to. For now, I cherish each precious mispronunciation and enjoy each crazy sentence. I know he won't speak Jackanese for long.

3 comments:

cristina said...

that was hilarious! he's such a sweet boy...i love how you capture his little personality with your writing. i can "hear" him say those things. LOVE it!

let's talk soon about blog stuff...i'm packing like a mad woman today.... :(

pray for me (whoever else read this can pray too)!

Steph said...

Those had me cracking up! "Tomorning" is so appropriate when talking about tomorrow morning!
I like him asking about the craft in the "crash can", too! I now hide Autumn's thrown away treasures in the bottom of the trash can b/c she's always checking the trash to see what I threw away!
I don't correct Autumn's cute little ways she says things either. I know they won't last much longer. The bad thing is that Shelby picks up on it and I hear her say some things exactly like Autumn says them (such as "bathing soup"). It's just too darn cute to correct either of them!

mamachristi said...

That is so funny. Rachel used to call her bathing suit her "banging suit" and Emily used to say "shock it nilk" for chocolate milk. I really miss those days. Enjoy it now before they want to borrow your car and always need money. haha