Thursday, May 14, 2009

"One Mom's Trash...

...is another Mom's Treasure!"

Okay, I saw a swap meet on Oprah where a bunch of neighbors got out their old crap... I mean, gently-used, under-appreciated belongings and then SWAPPED to re-do one room in each others' houses. It was such a great idea and made me think about whether I could do that with some of my friends. What do I have that others would want or need? Also, do you have to swap something of equal value? I mean, I need some big items, but it seems like all I have to offer are some paperback books, baby boy clothes, baby gear, and some DVDs... I am not sure how that works.

I mean, I love going through people's Goodwill bags before they go to Goodwill. There's always some random item like an extension cord, 3-ring binder, or empty picture frame that's got some life left in it. Heck, who am I kidding? Half of the clothes in my closet came free from someone else's closet!

So, as money has gotten tighter than ever, I am only able to shop from our list of NEEDS... not from my list of WANTS. However, that doesn't mean my WANTS list ceases to exist. In fact, summer brings a new slew of WANTS to mind. So, I thought I'd post a list of things I would like to have, but do not wish to spend money on at this time. Until these items can be justified as NEEDS, I will go on my merry way, still able to enjoy life without them.

If you happen to have any of these items laying around that I could have or borrow, I would be most appreciative. Please check your garage, attic, or under the bed and let me know!

  • Cheap outdoor clock (to keep track of time while playing in the backyard.)
  • Old Sprinkler (Any kind, to put over the baby pool to make it more exciting.)
  • White noise machine (to put in Davis' nursery - my super light sleeper.)
  • Copy of the book,"My Sister's Keeper" by Jodi Picoult (will take care of and return.)
  • Digital alarm clock w/kinda large numbers (for Jack to practice for school!)
  • Small/portable CASSETTE player (for books on TAPE recently handed down to Jack.)
  • Scanner (to put old pictures on the blog and on Facebook.)
  • Side table for plastic lawn chair (to hold Diet Dr. Pepper and baby monitor while sunbathing.)
I will come get them... and am definitely willing to trade or barter... if I have anything you might need - who knows? - babysitting? resume help? - just ask!

Important note: If you see this list and have a desire to go BUY them for us NEW, please don't. That defeats the whole purpose of "free-sale," and besides, these are not NEEDS. If you feel like you can't resist the urge to buy us something, look past this-here list and go straight to the Pampers aisle. ha.


post signature

6 comments:

Julie said...

You know you are welcome to come over to scan pics anytime you need to. Also, I may have to look around to see about that sprinkler.

cristina said...

what a clever idea!

do y'all have a freecycle group in san antonio? i'd guess so. check yahoo groups. you have to register, but then you can access when people post the stuff they want to freecycle.

GREAT way to pass on stuff that still has life in it. you can search previous posts to see if anyone is offering any of these things.

i did it a few times, and just met people in neutral places for the drop off (e.g., grocery store parking lot).

Unknown said...

Melissa, I have extra sprinklers you can choose from. GMM

Melissa Beth said...

Thanks, Grandmama... and Aunt Sue e-mailed me that she will send a digital clock home from the family reunion that she got for $1 at a garage sale. AWESOME! Thanks!

Tom H said...

I have sprinklers and the digital clock but it looks like others have you covered on those.

For noise, if you have an FM radio, you might try tuning to a spot between stations and turn the muting off. Note: Many FM radios will not allow turning the muting off so they won't work for this purpose.

Anonymous said...

I have an old scanner. I just have to figure out a way to ship it in one piece. I believe it still works. I have a new one and no longer need my dad's old one. It may not be the latest and greatest, but if it works & is just collecting dust in my closet, then it's all yours! - Sandra