Friday, July 6, 2007

Emily's Baby Shower in Baton Rouge

On June 9th, I was fortunate enough to enjoy a Girls' Weekend in Baton Rouge, LA to surprise Emily at her baby shower. Tracey and I drove down (OK, she drove the entire 8.5 hours while I served as iPod DJ fighting to stay awake.) Kristin flew in to meet us from Dallas. Emily was really surprised!


Me, Kristin, Emily (& Baby boy), and Tracey


Okay, anyone who knows me, knows that I am not a huge fan of seafood... shellfish to be more specific. Just the eyeballs and antennae on the painted ceramic lobster at Red Lobster were cause enough for me to cut short one of my first dates with Jeff! So, when I found out that we would be surprising Emily at a Louisiana Crawfish Boil... I was, um, thrilled.
So, for those of you who might (like me) be novices to a crawfish boil... this is how it works: Newspaper is laid out over the table, and the fresh crawfish, corn, potatoes, onions, and shrimp are poured down the table. Then, everyone digs in, literally tearing the heads off of the crawfish, dipping it in butter with bare hands and sucking out the meat. Unfortunately I was on the wrong side of the camera at this event, hence no proof, but I did belly up to the table for some of the best corn and potatoes I have ever had! All joking aside, it really was a lot of fun!
Tracey, our Jersey Girl, dug right in!

Tracey and Scott (the Dad to be!)

Em and me... Gosh, I miss her!

It was such a fun weekend and her family took us right in. I would love to go back. I have not laughed that hard in a very long time. And maybe next time I will try some of the cuisine. Perhaps I was being a bit shellfish.