Friday, July 6, 2007

My own blog: Managing expectations

"Managing expectations" is a popular buzz-word in Human Resources these days. For me, it is a fancy phrase for making sure not to get any one's hopes up, including my own.

This came into play when I decided to start this-here blog site. Before creating my own personal blog, I had a few mental obstacles to overcome:

First of all, I couldn't help but wonder, "Who will really care about my thoughts, my kid's pictures, and my stories?" I mean, everyone has kiddos almost as cute as Jack Everett, and everyone has funny anecdotes about parenthood. Why would they spend time reading mine? Seemed a bit narcissistic to tell you the truth.

I also have this fear of overcommitment. I started to name my blog "MBG's Motherhood Weekly" but let's get real, there's no way I will blog every single week. I don't even cook every single week. I didn't want "blogging" to join the list of things I started but let fade away (piano lessons.)

Then, I also have blog envy. I mean, Duane and Elisa's blog looks like they pay professional graphic designers. They've got photos, video clips, book recommendations, movie reviews... you name it... and all that on a Mac nonetheless! I can't even open a file on a Mac!

Anyway, I have always seen the "great" Moms on Oprah who wrote gobs of sweet, touching letters to their children in the womb, or the scrapbooking Moms who have intricate pages chronicling milestones for each child. Whenever I start to feel inadequate in that area, I remind myself again, "I should really be keeping a journal." I quickly write "Journal" on my Wal-mart list. Then inevitably, "Where is that dad-gum Wal-mart list?"

So, what finally made me decide to start blogging? I realized that it is the only way I will ever actually record my thoughts to share with Jack Everett and any future siblings God may have in store for Jeff and me. Oh, what I would give to be able to read my Mom's journal entry when Dad took me to get my hair cut like a boy (per my request.)? What would she have written after receiving the call that I was involved in my fifth car accident? Now that I am potty-training a little one, I would give anything to read what she was feeling when I informed her of my refusal to use the toilet until my fourth birthday party.

People often say to me, after hearing one of my stranger-than-fiction motherhood tales, "You should write a book!"

Well, here it is: "The Momologue."

Hope you enjoy, but if not, that's okay because this is really for me. And maybe for my children years down the road when they want an answer to the age-old question "What in the world was Mom thinking!?!..."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the blogosphere! Don't worry...you're probably right that no one will read your blog. I mean, no one reads mine except you and my mother. And I don't even think SHE reads it! But it is awfully nice to have some kind of record of your life. And since it's now on the internet, it'll be around FOREVER! :-)

Melissa's mom said...

Melissa, Trust me, you don't want to know my feelings when you refused to use the potty until your fourth birthday. It was not the first time you had to be in control. And by your fifth wreck, I was an old pro. I think I asked, are you okay? And hung up.

If I had journaled, you would know that I took you to get all your hair chopped off like a boy, not your dad. Tony cut it at Haircrafters in Crossroads Mall. It wasn't the haircut that was so bad, it was that we couldn't fix it like he did. When you are ten, you can't glue a pink bow in your hair to indicate "girl." You liked it until you were given a t-shirt that said, "I'm not a boy." That made you think.

Continue with your blog. The only journals I have are ones you write to get over life's painful events. The ones you are supposed to write and burn. I better look for those before I die and my children find them and that's their last memories of me.

And before I die, maybe I'll read Duane's blog.

Cari said...

Good for you! You are doing something I've talked about doing for over 4 years now -- writing down the good stuff for my girls to remember when I'm not here anymore -- exactly what you're talking about here. Sophie's favorite songs at this age, her favorite character(s) and phrases . . . Natalie's newest discoveries and passion for singing, her differences from her sister even at this young age. You've inspired me -- if I can get my act together, this sounds like a great way to put it down, regardless of who reads it! I've bookmarked your blog so I can come back to it every once in a while to see what's going on and see your pictures of beautiful Jack! Thanks for sending it!

Anonymous said...

Keep it going. You can't know now how much you forget in years to come if you don't write it down. I know I've forgotten thing in our kids past that I should remember. They're probably glad I have forgotten some things, though.
Enjoyed reading your blog.