Sunday, July 15, 2007

"I don't wanna be a Box Clown!"

In a previous blog, I alluded to Jeff's uncanny ability to convince Jack Everett to do things that Momma cannot easily persuade him to do. Those of you closest to us know this about Jeff, but for those who don't... and for Jack to read in many years... I thought I would share one such example: Halloween 2006.
.
Last Halloween, I spent loads time constructing what I hoped would be the perfect Jack-in-the-Box costume for my little just-turned-two trick-or-treater. Hey, you can't name your son Jack and not dress him up like a Jack-in-the box at least once, and I knew that would most likely be the last year he would let me do it.
.
I went to the Container Store without the baby to buy the appropriate-sized white box to hang over his little shoulders. It was so hard without him there, and with my awful depth perception, the box I came home with was huge! I went back, and the box I needed was a tiny 9" by 9" square. After a few trips to Hobby Lobby, some hot glue, staples, blue paint, markers, lamination, and a spare clown hat from Sarah, the costume was perfect!
.
On Halloween afternoon, I decided to take the baby to show off his costume at Nana's (Jeff's Mom's) office and then planned to head to Daddy's work. We arrive at the building, and I start to put the box on, and he hits it out of my hand and the ribbon comes out of it's slot (held by some staples, and a wad of packing tape.) I calmly reattach it, tell myself not to get flustered, but Jack starts to scream, "I wanna see Nana!", and screams "No!" any time the costume gets anywhere close to him. I try putting it over his head. "No!" I try having him step down into it. "No!" His screams are getting louder. People walking by are staring, and I am just hoping that the 500 glass windows are not one-way glass as I am now talking to my 2-yr-old through gritted teeth, begging him to at least put on his "adorable" hat. Finally, at a parenting low, I say, "If you put this costume on, I will give you some candy!" Hey, I'm not proud.
.
Jack looks at me and says, "I don't wanna be a box clown!" and starts crying.
.
Okay, now I felt really bad. I couldn't help but laugh. So, sweating profusely, I do what I should have done in the first place. I put him in one arm, the empty costume in the other, and we go inside to visit Nana. To get him to stop crying, I ended up having to give him the candy anyway. When anyone asked what he was, we just replied, "He's Jack-Out-of-the-Box." We took pictures and Jack had a blast. It was no big deal, and I just chalked it up to be the best handmade costume he never wore.
.
Nana and "Jack-Out-of-the-Box" in the infamous parking lot.
.
So, we later arrive at Bjorn's to see Daddy and Jeff says, "Hi buddy! Let me see your awesome costume! Jack starts up again, "No!" Jeff calmly gets down on one knee, looks all sad and softly says, "Jack... Daddy reeeeeeallly wants to see your costume. Can you please let me see you in it?" Jack walks right up to him, immediately puts his feet into it, lifts the ribbons over his shoulders and doesn't take it off again for the rest of the night. I stood for a moment in disbelief, then quickly grabbed the camera.

"Jack-finally-IN-the-Box!!!

Jack Everett realized being a "box clown" wasn't so bad after all.
.
Quick stroll down Halloween memory lane...
.
"Jack"-o-lantern - 2nd Halloween, 2005


Sweet Turtle - 1st Halloween, 2004

1 comment:

ren said...

He looks adorable in his box!