Thursday, July 12, 2007

Friends from the VERY beginning...

When I graduated with my degree in Human Resources in 2003, I was so conflicted about what the next steps should be for my family and my career. Jeff and I had been married for four years, and were feeling ready to have a baby. However, I was also ready to leave USAA and start using my new credentials! I decided to take a chance and took a job as a Recruiting Associate at the Capital Group (CG). Just 21 days later, I learned that I was expecting a baby. I couldn't believe it. I needed advice on when and how to tell the not-so-family-friendly management.

So, I decided to confide in Monica, the only Mom in the department. We had lunch together one day and when I told her I was pregnant, she paused and said, "I'm pregnant too!" We were due 10 days apart. Again, I could not believe it. We both knew the bosses would be shocked when we told them. Two out the 14 in the entire department, pregnant at the same time!? About three months later, I have lunch with my coworker Tracey, who tells me... "Don't tell anyone in the department, but I am pregnant too!" I was sorry for her that she had to be the third to speak to the Director since I knew how she had reacted to me. Not two weeks later, Candace invites me to lunch to say, "Don't tell anyone, but I'm pregnant too!" Poor Candace. Monica, Tracey, and I did not envy her, and secretly wished we could be a flies on the wall for that announcement! So, in a span of six months, four of us on the same team became pregnant. (Emily KNEW not to drink the water in that office!)

The months we worked together carrying these precious babies were some of the most tiring but were truly bonding times. We bonded with our babies and bonded with each other. I would not trade them for the world. We talked about our babies, compared swollen ankles, shopped for baby stuff, decorated nurseries. We even shared baby names, sonogram pictures, and awkward office baby showers.

Although we were due just 10 days apart, Monica had Shelby Lee in June, two months early.
Jack Everett came in August, Candace had Auburn 'Grace' in November, and Tracey had James Robert in mid-December. (We did not know he was a boy until that awesome 2:00am phone call from the hospital!)

The gang all together for the first time on 1-05-05:

James (3 wks), Jack (4 mos), Shelby (5 mos), Grace (7 wks)

We all hoped to keep in touch but knew it would take effort, since three of us chose not to return to work after the babies were born. We wanted to remain girlfriends, and we all really wanted the kiddos to be good friends too. They already were. Thus began the CG kiddos playgroup tradition.

Together this summer at the park... the terrific twos!

James, Shelby, Grace, and Jack...friends from the VERY beginning!

It's been really amazing to watch our kids grow and play together. I cannot believe they are each turning three! I hope you can all make it to Jack Everett's birthday party for our next group pic!

No comments: