Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Her's on first.

As do most two-year-olds, Jack Everett struggles a bit with pronoun usage. It is so cute that Jeff and I often debate whether or not to correct him. I know that he could use them properly with a bit of guidance, but on the other hand, I think I will miss it when he does. For example, Jack sees his friend Alli get a sticker for a reward and says, "What did her did?" (Okay, maybe sometimes it's more than just pronouns...) A little girl gets in trouble at a restaurant, so Jack pipes up in his loudest voice, "Her is crying cause her does not want to stay in her chair!"
-
So, as he is about to turn three, I decided that it was finally time to start helping him learn the correct way to use "her" in his sweet little sentences.

Overheard at my house:
-
[I tell him that his best friend Lawtie is coming over.]
Jack: "Her is going to play with my toys?"
Mommy: "Jack, it's 'SHE is going to play with my toys.'"
Jack: "No, Mommy, her likes to play with MY toys."
-
J: "Mommy, Why is her crying?"
M: "Jack, listen to Mommy. We say, "Why is SHE crying?"
J: "It's 'cause her wants her Daddy."

-
[Sadie scratches at the back door...]
M: Jack, say "SHE."
J: "She."
M: "That's right, say it again."
J: "She!"
M: "Good! Now say, "SHE is scratching at the door."
J: "Oh, it's just 'cause her wants to go outside."
-
These little grammar lessons were good for a laugh, especially for Jeff. So, this Mommy has chosen to sit back and enjoy Jack Everett's unique sentences. I know that it won't be long before I can hardly remember him speaking this way. In the meantime, I have decided to record in writing this precious slice of motherhood and cherish his tiny little voice while I can.

"Daddy, Is her taking another picture of me?"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ha! I remember those days. Our Jack is mostly out of that phase, but it IS so cute! We need to try to remember all the great things he says now.

By the way, our approach to the pronoun thing with Cason and Jack was just to repeat what they said, but using the correct pronoun. i.e. she says, "Mommy, her wants to play!" and I say, "yes, she wants to play!"

But I've never met a teenager who gets his pronouns mixed up, so it'll probably turn out ok no matter what you do! :-)

Anonymous said...

Have you considered public ridicule? While, it can be a powerful motivator, I suppose using it may not qualify you for "SAHM of the year".