Monday, July 16, 2007

Books on Tape for Baby

Some of you may have heard me tell this story...

Jack was tiny... just 9 or 1o months old, and was riding in the little basket at "Half Priced Books." I was buying and trading in yet another book on CD. The cashier, a woman in her early 50's (I'd guess) said, "I see you in here pretty often. Are you buying these Books on Tape for yourself?" I told her they were for me, and she smiled, "That's refreshing. It's usually older people who come in to buy Books on Tape." I explained that I had become hooked on them as a means to continue reading after the baby was born. I said, "And I hear it's really good for the baby to hear the spoken language. They say hearing the English language for long periods of time really helps develop their vocabulary."

She looks at Jack and says, "Awww... You are so lucky! Your Momma is already helping you build you a big vocabulary!"

Without hesitation, Jack looks right at her and says, "Caca!"

She looked at me and I just had to laugh and said, "Imagine if we didn't have the tapes."

No comments: