Tuesday, October 7, 2008

"Am I the ONLY one?" (Part 2)

Okay, again, I want to hear from you...

So, there is something that bothers me, and I want to know if I am the only one.

Picture this: I am in the middle of a voyeuristic hour of network reality television when I am rudely interrupted by a blatant product placement. I feel like I am being taken for a sucker. All I want to do is peek into the behaviors of others when placed in a "realistic" situation... when *BAM* I am all of a sudden in the middle of a commercial. Then *BAM* right back to the show... Am I not supposed to notice?

For example, in the middle of "The Biggest Loser." They are the worst about this. The contestants are having lunch when all of a sudden Trainer Bob goes into a spiel about the advantages of Ziplock Cook n' Steam Bags. The contestants suddenly get all stiff and awkward. The 10-second ad is finished, and they all go back to acting naturally. This is repeated when Jillian recommends packing Nabisco 100-Calorie packs in their suitcases. Not to mention, by the time they leave the Biggest Loser Ranch, their jaws must be painfully tired of incessantly chewing Extra sugar-free gum. It's too much. It's not even subtle or subliminal. Do they think we are fools? I mean, I bought some of those steam bags, and they're just alright.

To be fair, it's not just "The Biggest Loser" that is guilty. "Jon and Kate Plus 8" is right up there with the shameless product plugs. I thought they'd never stop talking about the V-Smile Learning System their 8 children were playing one afternoon. Kate and I are very close (we've never met, but I have watched the show for a long time) and I am pretty sure she would not be letting her three-year-olds play video games if there wasn't something sweet in that deal. Speaking of sweet, I bet she was serving her toddlers water before the Juicy Juice truck rolled into town with sippie cups full of cash.

What's next? The Duggars peddling match.com?

Is this just the price we have to pay to spend hours peeking into strangers' lives? Don't get me wrong... I mean, I'll do it, but it still bothers me.

So, Am I the ONLY one?

5 comments:

ren said...

I quit reality tv and tv altogether almost 3 years ago. But yeah, we're not idiots! I see it coming a mile away. The Duggars and Match.com, now that's hilarious.

Anonymous said...

I try to mute the commercials or am doing something else during them, so I miss a lot. But I see your point and it doesn't bother me so much- as long as I'm sitting in my recliner relaxing- I don't care what they are pitching! :>)

melody

Anonymous said...

This Momologue brought to you by...


Walmart. __(.99 cent baby bottles.)



You forgot the picture of you holding the bottle so we could see it.

Melissa's mom said...

I know what you mean. I am right in the middle of enjoying a look into someone else's life when shoved in my face is a newfangled pacifier that has a nipple protection feature. A claw closes over the nipple when dropped on the floor to keep it from getting dirty. It only needed a spring to bounce back up into mommy’s quick reflex grip. Shameless promotion.

Seriously, I know just what you mean. I hate commercials so much that I record shows even when I am home just to be able to fast forward through commercials later. I feel deceived when the characters start hawking their wares in the middle of a scene. They've taken away my freedom of choice to watch it or not.

I have heard there is technology available where advertisements can be shot up into the sky. Woe is me.

Julie said...

What are you even talking about?
;-)