Saturday, May 31, 2008

In everything, a lesson...

In preparing and cleaning out for the new baby, we have been taking loads of baby items and clothes to the Pregnancy Care Center here in town. It is a great ministry helping young Moms facing unexpected pregnancy. The center does its best to educate and counsel these women about the emotional and spiritual effects of abortion and prays with them, hoping to show them that God has a plan for each baby He creates. The women who choose LIFE, be it through parenting or adoption, can become clients and receive benefits and services. In exchange for attending Bible Study or classes in infant care, breast-feeding, etc. they receive "Diaper Dollars" to use in the Care Closet, which is full of donated baby clothes, maternity clothes, highchairs, etc. to help them ease the burden of a new baby. I love the ministry and the Director, Rose, is a wonderful woman.

Before making a donation, I always tell Jack where we are going, (he calls it the "Baby Place") and why we are donating our things, hoping he'll understand that we are helping other little boys who may not have very many new toys, etc. In the beginning, he would suddenly become attached to the items we were donating. Although these items have been completely ignored for at least a year, they would become precious as they were about to be donated. So, we would go through this each time, but he is now getting the hang of it. I tell him that it makes God very happy to see His children sharing their toys and clothes.

Each time we have visited, Jack has seen a particular Batmobile in the Care Closet and I let him play with it while we unload the items from my car. He loves that thing. Every time we leave, he asks Ms. Rose if he can take it home. She says, "Of course, sweetie, if it's okay with your Mom." I always refuse, since that totally defeats the purpose of our visit and undermines the whole lesson of giving.

Anyway, at our most recent visit, we dropped off a box of women's clothes, a bedding set, a box of baby clothes, and a timeout chair. Hoping he had forgotten about it, I was surprised when we turned into the parking lot and he immediately said, "Can I play with the "Batman Movile" when we get inside?" These kids have amazing memories. Much to my dismay, it is still there, and I know he is going to, once again, ask to take it home.

At the end of the visit, sure enough, he asks Ms. Rose. I feel bad as I realize he has now donated three full boxes of his toys, and has never really complained as we leave empty-handed. On the other hand, I don't want him to think that he gets something new, especially at the Pregnancy Care Center where he is supposed to be learning to GIVE, not to TAKE. Well, after a sad face from him and Rose and a "please, please, Momma?" I agree to let him have it. Rose is thrilled and so is Jack Everett. This "Batman Movile" is huge and he absolutely loves it.

We get in the car, and fearing that the entire life lesson has been lost, I ask him to explain why we give toys to the "Baby Place."

He immediately pipes up from the back seat, "I gived the kids my Timeout Chair and they gived me this awesome Batman Movile!"

Oh, great.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Quick, before anybody else reads it- typo in third paragraph.
Anon

Melissa's mom said...

I think you were being punk'ed by Anon

Melissa Beth said...

Alright, I found the oh-so-obvious typo. Thanks for the dose of my own medicine.