Sunday, January 17, 2010

On another topic...

Jack's Homework Assignment (verbatim): "Cut out a snowflake! Color, glitter, or paint the snowflake! Pretend you are a snowflake and write a creative story about your journey as a snowflake. Be creative when you write your story. Your child's story should have at least 5 to 6 sentences! They usually write more than that in class with me, so I know your child can write at least 5-6 sentences independently at home! Make sure you have a beginning, middle, and ending. Remember to capitalize the beginning of a sentence and the letter "I", use the correct ending punctuation, spaces between words, all Word Wall words are spelled correctly, and you are staying on topic! Example: When I was a snowflake, I landed on a dog's nose. I think it tickled her."

Yes. Those were (all) the printed instructions.

So, I left for the grocery store and was thrilled to see a pile of snowflakes on the table when I got back. Jack Everett then told me and Jeff not to look until he was finished with his story.

He wrote and wrote and wrote....

then presented to us...

... in "Tah Dah!!!" fashion...

... this:

(My snowflak is white I think, bekus I cant deesid what snowflak To Pick. I now you dont like the word cant! But! I love all of my snowflaks.)

(That is wie I can't choose a snowflake. so all That is wie I cant choose a snowflake. I have a snowflak for You. it is priteyest one ever. it is light blue color.)

(The other snowflakes are colord steel blue, white and yours is Periwinkle That is the colors of The Snowflake colors. i like all my snowflakes. The End.)

(Look here. Here's Your snowflak.)
Notice how the art on the side spells "Miss Brock".
He told us he "ran out of room for MAN, but knows she'll love it anyway."

Okay. Put yourself in my shoes.... given the assignment...

If your Kindergarten son handed you this 100% independently-written "story," all proud of himself...

I want to know... how would you respond?


post signature

9 comments:

Melissa's mom said...

I would praise him on working so diligently to get his homework done and let his teacher give him the feedback. It is his homework not yours. Well, that's what the Super Nanny said so it must be right.

Ann said...

I totally agree - his assignment, not yours. Kinda sounded like she wanted the parents to do it for them. How will she know exactly where they're are in learning if you don't let him do it himself.....on the other hand, you can repeat the instructions to him asking him if he followed them one by one. Dunno - mine doesn't have homework, yet.

Rhonda said...

You have the sweetest little boy who obviously loves Miss Brockman. I would read it, shed some love tears, and hug him tight.

Dana said...

I was going to say to praise him and tell him how wonderful the story is! Then say, "Hey! Why don't you write ANOTHER story, too & pretend that YOU'RE the snowflake?" Then I read your mom's answer & I like it better. So scratch mine. :)

Julie said...

First of all- wow, that was quite an assignment. This is kindergarten isn't it?
I like the repeat the instructions idea. Ask him to explain how he followed the instructions. If he comes up with a good explanation and is pleased with his work then so be it. But, maybe he'll decide to redo it himself.
And of course- lots of praise for the hard work and beautiful artwork.
I'm just gonna guess that whether or not the instructions were followed, it's still probably better than many of the other stories Ms. Brockman will be reading.

Anonymous said...

First of all, the assignment itself is beyond astounding for a Kindergartner! And secondly, Jack did superbly as always. I don't think I've ever seen a child with more creativity & imagination. Can hardly wait to see what he'll be doing in First Grade!
Nana

Anonymous said...

M S Medications

http://twilight-sm.com/ - propecia without prescription
DHT is present on your scalp and in other areas that you grow hair.
[url=http://twilight-sm.com/]cheapest propecia online[/url]
By lowering these DHT levels we can essentially make the hair more comfortable.
http://twilight-sm.com/ - propecia online pharmacy

Anonymous said...

colonia dealerships ford nj buy nissan skyline where auto dealership glen burnie location mini warehouse gary hyundai

Anonymous said...

12 auto led light volt p an o mini cruise honda xr70 dirt bike parts car rodeo 1980 f150 ford truck