Saturday, October 10, 2009

Snackosaurus Rex

Okay, so I saw these little chicken nuggets in a blanket on some cooking website and thought we'd try them one afternoon.


After all, it's a craft project and what's not to like about chicken cordon blue in buttery crescent rolls? Healthy lunch criteria met.

So I got what I had on-hand: Crescent rolls (egg-free), ham, colby jack cheese (didn't have swiss), and chicken nuggets. I didn't have the tiny chicken fingers it called for, but I did have the huge Dino Nuggets so we went with it. This is why most of my recipes turn out a little off kilter. Chances are there is a REASON the recipe is written the way it is, but I always think I can make substitutions and it will be just fine.



Jack especially enjoyed getting to cut them out and arrange them all by himself. Because the dino nuggets were so HUGE, our little dino sleepover could only include three single sleepers and one set of married couple dino chaperones.


Fourteen minutes later... well ten minutes then check, just one more minute, check, okay give it one more minute...


It was time to draw on the faces. Luckily I had SONIC ketchup packets in the drawer to provide the small writing tip. They didn't look exactly the same because they were all facing sideways. This craft was getting more and more ghetto by the minute.


It still looked and smelled awesome. So, I served it and Jack was all excited. Jeff, on the other hand, doesn't even like to TRY the little craft food we make because he sees how much touching goes on during the prep stage. You can see how big these are... the co-sleepers took up Jack's whole plate.

Well, after a couple of bites he said, "Mommy, I am ready for my REAL lunch now." WHAT?!? After all that? I tried it, and the crescent rolls were kinda doughy and the nuggets a little on the cool side. Great.

So I didn't get an awesome lunch out of it, but I did manage to spend some quality time with my creative boy, made some funny memories, and even eeked out a silly blog post. In the end, I guess it was worth it.

post signature

4 comments:

Steph said...

Really laughing out loud! They really did come out cute, though, even if he couldn't eat them! They kind of looked like martians to me or one-eyed monsters!

ren said...

I didn't even know dinosaur nuggets existed! Those came out super cute and made me laugh at your fun adventure. I'll have to try them sometime - but maybe I should cook the nuggets a lil first. Sam would love this snack idea!

Melody said...

I am so proud of your cooking craft attempt! How fun! My girls still love to do "fun" cooking. You know my Hope loves it!
Proud Aunt Mel

Leeanne B said...

This reminds me of the time I decided to make a treasure chest cake for the kids' birthday party. After four hours and a few tears (mine), it still looked NOTHING like the picture on the website. In fact, it looked more like an anvil. I gave up and called 911-Wal-Mart-Bakery. :)