Sunday, October 18, 2009

Don't fence me in.

I hereby publicly confess and sincerely apologize for thinking (and most likely uttering) the following phrases over the course of the past five years:

"It's best not to use baby gates. They need to learn what they can and cannot touch."

"If our house is child-proof, they won't know how to respect things at other people's houses."

"If they touch it, we spank their hand. Every time. They realize pretty quickly that we mean business."

Uh, yeah.

Enter this guy:



After five months of cleaning up pools of dog water and slobbery half-eaten dogfood, kissing fat little fingers after a run-in with the dryer door, and finding him standing on the open dishwasher door holding a butter knife in each hand, I finally waved the white flag.

To make a short story long, there's a new sheriff in Griffintown... and it goes by the name of "SuperYard."

I not-so-secretly made fun of this monstrosity when Emily bought it for Evan in Maryland, but I couldn't dial her number fast enough when I had finally reached my limit with Davers. I detected a slight grin as she brought it over and helped me put it up. After all, she had offered it to me a half-dozen times after hearing me all exasperated on the phone, "Davis Jarrell! No no!" only to hear him repeat back to me, "No NO!"

Well, the official verdict is in on the SuperYard:




Yep. Three out of four of us love it.

post signature

6 comments:

Julie said...

Welcome to what I like to call second child syndrome. Don't know what it is about that birth order but it seems to be a common theme when I talk to fellow moms.
Oh, and you are officially forgiven. Hope the ginormous baby gate helps you deal with your monkey- until he climbs over it :-)

ren said...

LOL I loved this post! When the baby gate doesn't work anymore, get a Springfree trampoline, girl. So fun the kids don't realize it's a glorified pack n play.. AND it gets all that energy out! :)

Tom H said...

Yeah, and I see the cabinet in the background is under lock-down too. That's a good thing. You never know when the first successful escape attempt will happen (except that you probably won't be looking when it does).

Emily said...

I told ya so... :)

Kristin said...

I got a BIG laugh out of this one. I can just picture him with those butter knives! I've just purchased some supplies for Caitlyn. She is quickly becoming more mobile and is pretty curious. Can't wait for our play date next week!

Melissa's mom said...

LOL!