Monday, October 26, 2009

Learning to do what is right.

Ms. Adams, the lunch lady, wrote a note home today that Jack (and two others) were "kicking under the table, throwing things, and making noise." during lunch. It was the first mark he's ever received on his folder and he was teary-eyed when he told Daddy about it on the way home from school.

The punishment was clear. Talk about it and then write sentences and draw a picture. Obviously.

(click to enlarge)

"Dear Mrs. Adams, I'm sorry because I played at lunch. Next time I will behave better. Love, Jack Griffin" In the picture he says, "I'm sorry." Mrs. Adams says, "I forgive you."

He wrote the letter and drew the picture on his own, and we all know that it is not coincidental that this month's Bible Verse is "Learn to do what is right." Isaiah 1:17. So I made him add that too.

It was nice to get an opportunity to tell him about times when I have a bad day and do things I regret. I got to explain how it feels to apologize and accept forgiveness from others. It happens, and for him it doesn't happen very often, so it's actually a tiny bit of a relief to know that he is not "perfect" all day long at school. It's good that he's learning about himself and exploring boundaries. It's also very good that Mrs. Adams was there to remind him just where those boundaries are.

post signature

No comments: