Tuesday, October 6, 2009

A Big Prize, indeed.

Scobee just started a school-wide incentive program where Challenger Class Cash is earned for good behavior and spent on prizes in the Scobee Store.

Today we received a list of the prizes available, and were asked to have our kids write in their top three prize choices and return it tomorrow to expedite shopping.

I read the list of prizes to him and told him he had 15 points to spend and to write his top three choices on the lines, copying the spelling from the list. I wanted to see how he'd do on his own. He worked at the kitchen table for almost 15 minutes. I never imagined he'd hand it back to me like this (click on it to enlarge:)

Translation: "I am saving my money for the big prizes like Soaring Planes w/Shooter"

I couldn't wait to show it to Jeff. I am so proud of him. We try so hard to teach him delayed gratification in so many different areas of his life, but it's hard. It's encouraging to think that some of the lessons might actually be sticking.

It totally cracks me up that he just added a #4 and another line at the bottom. When it comes to thinking outside the box, this kid is like, "What box?"

Now Jeff and I can't wait to hear how he does when he shows up at the Scobee Store for the very first time with nothing in his hand but his little note. I just hope he is happy with his decision as he watches his classmates spend their cash and leave the Store with "little prizes."

Man, If only I could be a fly on the wall.

(A fly with a video camera, that is.)


post signature

3 comments:

Kayla said...

That is hilarious! Good for him... I am trying to work on my delayed gratification as well. Ha!
I hope y'all are doing well! Miss and love you lots!

Kayla said...

Wow, I got a little "exclamation point happy" in that post...

Julie said...

Wow- it seems like he has grown up a year in the last month! That is so awesome- the writing, the sentence structure, adding a fourth line, and being patient enough to wait for the big prize. I am so proud of him and so impressed. Way to go Jack!