Thursday, September 17, 2009

September 11 ... follow-up.

As it turns out, the Principal addressed the school on September 11th during the "televised" morning announcements. She gave the students a summary of what happened and encouraged them to dedicate their daily "moment of silence" to remember and honor those who died.

That afternoon, I asked Jack if he knew what was special about that day. "We got to wear our Space Shuttle shirts," he quickly reminded me that he is five.

I explained that "there was a terrible accident in New York City on September 11th before he was born and a lot of people died in the accident. I told him that every time the calendar turns to September 11, we take time to remember the people who died. We pray for them and all of their families who miss them very much." His face was serious and he seemed to understand but did not say anything else about it. He didn't ask what kind of accident or anything and I didn't elaborate.

That night we prayed "for those in the war protecting us" and prayed "for the people who died on this special day... that they are safe in heaven with Jesus."

There you have it. That was it.

With that, I, like millions of others who were not directly effected by this tragedy, kissed my child, turned off the light, and headed off to bed with my husband by my side.

And on that particular night, I did not take any of it for granted.

post signature

No comments: