Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Missing Daddy.

I dropped Jeff off at the airport this morning for his annual trip to CEDIA (Consumer Electronics Design and Installation Something-that-starts-with-A). It's a five-night snore-fest... I mean, five-day/five-night extravaganza of all things techie and Jeff looks forward to it every year. Then when he gets home, he TIVO's all these in-depth shows about it and watches them again. I am like, "You were JUST there!!" It's kinda like how he watches highlights of the football game he JUST finished watching. He pauses the show to give me highlights and point out certain parts that were awesomer than others. I try to act interested in the Consumer Electronics products of the future, but all I am really doing is trying to spot him in the crowd.

The point of this post? Oh yeah.

So we put the car in park in the Departures lane at the airport, trying to ignore the scowls and looks of disdain from the Airport Crossing Guards wanting us to "move it along." It's not like we were making out, Jeff just needed to get his bag out of the back of the car. Jeez Louise, you give some people a badge and a whistle and the power goes straight to their heads.

Anywaaay, Jeff quickly opened the back door and kissed little Davey who was sitting in his new position in his car seat - facing forward taking in all the sights and air conditioning. Jeff said, "Bye, Bye!" and smiled as Davis' chunky little hand waved back at him.

He closed the door and I was genuinely surprised to see Davis' reaction. His little bottom lip started to quiver and he started to cry! He was looking out the window and had real tears in his eyes! It was so sad but so sweet. His crying started to die down a little until I said, "I'm sorry, baby... but Daddy's going bye-bye" and he totally started up the crying again!

It was the very first time I have ever seen Davis show even a hint of separation sadness - toward either of us! I mean, ordinarily I can hardly hold onto him because he is reaching both hands out leaning to go to the HEB soda stock boy.

When I was driving away, tears were sitting all pooled up in his blonde eyelashes and I could hardly stand it. I thought to myself, "I'll NEVER forget the pitiful look on his face right now!"

Well, I know better and that's why I have a blog. I will forget.

Jeff called earlier tonight and I couldn't hear very well (he was at a Sports Bar and I was running bath water... ahem...) and I totally forgot to tell him about it.

So Honey, I hope you are reading this in your hotel room... the little guy misses you like crazy and so do we!

Have a great time at CEDIA. I can't wait to hear ALLLLLL about it.

;)

post signature

No comments: