Wednesday, September 30, 2009

No wonder they call it the s-WHINE flu.

Jack came down with a fever Sunday, but tested negative for strep and the flu. After three days at home, and almost 36-hours fever-free, I woke him up to return to school Tuesday morning. When he got up he was hot, congested, and extra whiny. So I made an appointment for first thing this morning.

So, when I wrestled him out of bed this morning, he complained about his head hurting, and he was really hot. He started crying when I asked him to open up to brush his teeth, so I knew his throat must really be hurting. It was about time to leave so I went into the nursery to wake up Brother who greeted me with sneezing and a raspy voice. I pressed my cheek against his warm little forehead and called the pediatrician. Make that TWO appointments, please.

To make a short story long, Jack tested positive for the flu and has a "bad" ear infection in his right ear... which has likely been lingering since the weekend. He sounds horrible and is really lethargic, but the antibiotic and pain meds are controlling the pain from the ear infection, and he is in much better spirits.

He advised us to assume this is H1N1, since the Influenza Type A hasn't really hit our community yet. Since the Health Dept is no longer trying to keep track of H1N1 statistics, there is no real reason to distinguish at this time. While it's more contagious, the treatment and symptoms are the same. The only thing this really means to us is that the boys will not likely contract the H1N1 again this year, but will still be susceptible to the Flu Type A when it comes to town this season (since they are both allergic to the vaccine.)

Davis is being given Tami-flu as well since Jack tested positive and his symptoms are pretty much the same. Luckily now that the Tami-flu is back in sufficient supply, they are easing up on the extra lab confirmations and are more proactively treating siblings. The main objective is to keep the boys hydrated and to try to keep Jeff well. I just feel blessed that I can stay home and wait it out.

In the meantime...

... we are staying home trying not to go stir crazy. We picked up (and have finished) the homework for the week, have watched more movies in four days than we usually watch in a year, and I am almost out of craft projects.

I called Julie today (whose kids have the flu too) and said, "We're sending TJ and Alli Jean some Get Well cards." She replied, "Alright, we'll send you some too."

I figure we might as well make the most of it.

No comments: