Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Change is here... ready or not.

Well, it's over. Jeff and I sat somewhat silently through most of the election night coverage. When Obama's victory was finally announced, we weren't sure how to feel. For the most part, it feels like I felt Saturday night when the Longhorns lost to Texas Tech in the final moments of a long battle. That sounds silly, but its feels eerily similar. The wind is out of my sails, and my stomach hurts a little. When McCain was talking, I wanted to cry. When Obama was speaking, I wanted to cry too, but for different reasons. By the end of his speech, I actually smiled and felt a sense of hope. Jeff and I are both having trouble going to sleep.

So, it wasn't the outcome for which we had hoped, but it forces us to examine a couple of things:
How will we respond? How will we behave tomorrow? How will we speak about this when our nieces and nephews, our nation's youth - or worse - our parents and grandparents begin discussing the country's new direction? Will we spew bitterness and cynicism, or will our actions and words reveal God's character?

No matter how you voted, it is undeniable that it is an amazing historic day for the American people. I plan to talk to Jack tomorrow about our first black president. It's yet another opportunity for us to teach him about tolerance, acceptance, and love for all of God's people. It's really amazing how far we have come. Unfortunately, I know that I will need to protect him from conflicting messages of hate and prejudice - from our society, and even from members of his own family.

My boys will have to learn to follow leadership with whom they disagree in order to succeed in life. They will have to make the grade in classrooms with teachers they don't like, play on teams with coaches who are unfair, thrive in the workplace with bad bosses, and excel even when given unfair rules. My prayer is that Jack and Davis will be able to maintain their values and preserve their ideals when placed in situations where they do not agree. That is what we are now being asked to do. We are to show them how to disagree with our President, while still respecting the authority he has been given. This is our responsibility and it's a big pill to swallow.

As a Republican, I am leery and skeptical. I am worried. It is unsettling for any party to control the Presidency, the House, and the Senate. I am worried about how other Republicans will react, and a little worried about how White America will react. I am equally anxious about how Black America will react. However, I am also really proud. I am proud to see Democracy work. We the People got to choose, and for those of us who made it to the polls, we (collectively) got what we asked for. Like it or not, tomorrow is a new day.

I received this e-mail today... Despite my mass appeal NOT to receive any political e-mails... one snuck through, and I am glad it did. Here is an excerpt:
====
God's Word actually has a lot to say about politics and world leaders - and here are a few critical facts we might want to put into our perspective:

First of all, it is God Himself who determines the winners of elections. Yep - and all along we thought it was the voting system and the Electoral College? Sure, they were the tools, but the Hand behind it all is the Sovereign and All Powerful King of the Universe:

"Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God (Romans 13:1)."

The 'governing authorities' that are referred to here were not democratic or even friendly towards Christians. But that didn't matter then - or now - because it is crystal clear from this verse that there is no senator, judge, or even president who wasn't placed there by God Himself.

I actually take some comfort in the fact that when Barack Obama is sworn into office in January, he is the one that God established to be President of the United States.

So what does this mean? Well, whether you can vote or not, whether your candidate won or not, whether you kept up or not...really doesn't matter in the big picture. This is our responsibility:

"I urge you, first of all, to pray for all people. Ask God to help them; intercede on their behalf, and give thanks for them. Pray this way for kings and all who are in authority so that we can live peaceful and quiet lives marked by godliness and dignity (1 Timothy 2:1-2)."


What usually happens when the 'wrong' person gets into office is we moan, complain, make jokes, and do everything else but what we are supposed to do...which is pray. So...are you praying? Even if the election outcome is different than you want? I've seen a lot of passion and emotion with this election, going forward, are you willing to direct that into your prayer life?

Remember...God ultimately elects our President, and our ultimate responsibility is not to flame our opponents on Facebook or blog away our sorrows.

We must pray:
-that God will turn the heart of all presidents and kings and rulers to Himself.
-that our President will rule fairly and justly.
-that God will accomplish His perfect will through those He placed in authority.
-that we will properly submit to our government regardless of whether or not elephants or donkeys are running the circus.

That...is how we rock the vote!

====
Tonight I prayed for God to reveal Himself in my words and attitude regarding our President, for healing and unity in our country, and specifically for the Obama family. I will speak for myself: There is no doubt this will be hard for me. Jeff and I promised each other today that we will be intentional about getting on board and giving Obama a chance. We just have to.

Just like we will root for the Red Raiders if they take Texas' place in the BCS Bowl.

3 comments:

Melissa's mom said...

me too.

Anonymous said...

Well said sister!

Anonymous said...

Awesome Melissa...well stated.



Except the part about Texas Tech!