Thursday, November 13, 2008

Off we go... Into the Wild Blue Yonder

We were so excited when Mom gave us passes to the Lackland Air Force Air Show the Saturday morning after Halloween. I knew Jack would love seeing the jets up close and couldn't wait to get pics of him climbing in and out of the old planes and helicopters. We loaded up the car and headed out early Saturday morning to beat the crowds. When we finally found parking and walked the half-mile to the Air Show, we could see that it was going to be a hit. There were old timey planes to climb into, flight simulators, and "REAL" soldiers.

We arrived, visited the port-a-potty, and met up with Mom and Jeffry. About one minute later, the first jet flew overhead. Oh... my.... goodness. It was loud like a Sonic Boom. Jack and Davis both immediately started screaming and crying. Jack fell to the ground in a heap holding his ears and screaming. "I wanna go away from here! Take me away!" The jet looped around and swooped overhead again. More screaming. Davis was beside himself and I started crying. I felt so terrible. I don't know what we were thinking. We don't even take him into the church service because the music might be too loud... and here we are at an air show? I guess I thought it would just sound like airplanes overhead. Sounds dumb now, but it never crossed our minds how intense it was going to be.

So anyway, Jeff took Davis to run for cover (and from a jet, that is no easy task) while I tried to convince Jack to take his hands off his ears long enough for me to put earplugs in. He was screaming "I DON'T WANT THEM! TAKE ME AWAY FROM HERE!" We had been there twenty minutes, but knew we had to leave NOW.

The flight finally ended so we raced to find Jeff and Davis, who were hiding out under the awning of the Saturn vehicle sales trailer. Thank goodness for Saturn. They were displaying four brand new shiny car models. I grabbed Davis, who was inconsolable. My eyes got all teary again. Jeff said, "Get inside the Saturn!" Davis and I jumped into the back seat of the Saturn and closed the door. Ah, quiet. Sweat box, but quiet.

I quickly began nursing him to calm him down. Plus, it was about that time. I was hoping they would "cool their jets" long enough for us to feed and leave. In the front seat was another mom, in the same boat, feeding her two-month old. No kidding. I introduced myself and she said, "What were we thinking?" I asked her if she would ask the saleswoman to give us a demo of the air conditioner or how to roll down the windows, but she didn't get my humor.

We fed Davis and left. We were all totally sweating. So now we know for next year. Or the next maybe. When we got back to our car, reflected on how early we had gotten up, how far we had driven, and how much time we had spent on base and how little we had actually seen, we just had to laugh. Jeff said, "Well, this has blog post written all over it." He was right.



Our two pics of the Air Show. *sigh*

3 comments:

Steph said...

Oh man- I never thought about how loud that would be either. We've thought about going over the past couple of years but it never worked out- glad now that it didn't! Thank you for teaching me that lesson :)

Julie said...

Too bad you didn't learn that lesson ahead of time from your slightly smarter friend who avoided the air show that day :-)
Really wish there was some way to avoid the sonic boom, cause other than that I think it would be a great time. Maybe in a few years with ear plugs in place!

ren said...

Here's my fun alternative. Come visit us next year for the International Balloon Fiesta! Talk about great for kids and awesome photo ops! :)