Sunday, November 30, 2008

"Gooooooooooooo O'Connor!"

We joined the Shaw family (and several church family members) at the O'Connor High School football game a couple of weekends ago. We mainly went to support Brady Brown, one of Lacey's best friends, who is a senior on the offensive line.



I was looking forward to painting Jack's face to match Hope and Lacey's in support of the Panthers. Well, Jack wanted nothing to do with the face paint. I said, "Let Lacey paint Mommy's face to show you how cool it looks." So we did.



After I got all school spirited up, he said, "No, thanks." It wasn't until we got to the game that I realized I was the ONLY person over the age of 17 with my face painted. Oh well. I'm used to looking younger than all the other parents.



It was a great night. We are unclear which part Jack Everett enjoyed the most... the football, or the band. Don't tell Paw Paw, but I think it was the band. By the end of the game, he had learned the cheers and was doing all the hand motions.



I can't imagine sitting between Jeff and Mom in matching "Griffin" jerseys, watching Jack play his last high school football home game. I would get teary-eyed just thinking about the pride and sadness Shannon and Andy must have felt as Brady took the field one last time.

I wish we had gone to more games this season. I have many many memories of high school football games. I attended dozens of games over the years, some from the stands, some from the press box, and others from the sidelines. It brought back so many of those memories... watching Trey play, watching Dad get soaked with the Gatorade bucket after the game, and the awesomeness of concession stand nachos.

Ah, there's just nothing like Texas High School Football.

1 comment:

ren said...

That's funny, Sam will never have anything to do with the face paint either. I miss seeing Tiff dance on the 50 yard line during half time. Fun fun!