Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Defense is the best Offense.

So, the Easter cop stopped me on the way to hunt eggs at Grandma's house Easter weekend. Yes, Jack was thrilled to see a "real police man" at my window, but needless to say, I was not. The officer, upon issuing me a speeding ticket said, "Don't let this ruin your day, ma'am." I replied, "Sir, Jesus has risen from the dead... nothing can ruin my day!" Actually, I just rolled up my window but that would have been so much better.

So, here we are getting close to the deadline to take the Defensive Driving Course (Texas' version of the "Get Out of Jail Free Card.") Unlike during my teen years, I did not have to call the DMV to see if it had been a full year since I had last taken the class, so I entered a plea of "no contest," or "no lo contendere" as they call it here in San Antonio.

Anyway, here are the options and I need you all to vote on which I should choose. I have outlined some pros and cons to assist in your.... ahem... my decision.

1) Take the course in a classroom setting:* **

Pros: Costs only $25.00
Taught by professional comedians... could be entertaining.
Get to spend an entire afternoon without the kids.

Cons: Takes six hours, 10:00am - 4:00pm on Jeff's only Week-day off
Have to shower, get dressed, and get somewhere at a particular time.
Have to stay awake and focused and pass a test at the end... with no notes or help.
Have to spend an entire afternoon without the kids.
* Upon proof-reading, Jeff wishes to stress that he would be stuck home all day with the kids.
** Melissa wishes to insert the sound of tiny violins playing J.T.'s version of "Cry Me A River"

2) Take the class on-line:

Pros: Can blog and check e-mail between sections.
Can complete the class in chunks, potentially during nap times.
Can complete while nursing a baby and/or wearing pajamas.
Test can be taken with notes and/or help from potential onlookers (Jeff).

Cons: Cost of course: $30.00
Potential technical difficulty - no live person.
Requires me to ignore kids for extended period of time while staring at computer. This is in addition to the regular amount of time spent on this same activity.
Totally taxing to my A.D.D. brain, requiring much reading and concentration... and the tests are really hard.
Can't do ANYTHING else around the house.

3) Rent the DVD video course from Blockbuster:

Pros: Watching from the comfort of my own big screen.
The pause and mute buttons.
Use of my mad auditory learning skills.
No babysitter needed.
Can fold towels, hold babies, do puzzles, etc.

Cons:
Costs $30.00 and a trip to Blockbuster Video, a.k.a. "Mommy, can I please rent Transformers? I promise I won't say any of the bad things on it!"
The six-hour course can turn into a 10-hour experience between naps, lunches, and requests to "find my T-Rex, fill my juice cup, or wipe my hiny."
Children and/or Jeff are forced to watch the six-hour video with me.
The schedule requires you to take designated breaks between sections, which may or may not correspond with the kids' naps or phone calls from Emily.

So, what would you do if you were me? The live class, the on-line course, or the DVD? And why?

Don't feel too much pressure... if I am not pleased with my choice... there's always NEXT year.


post signature

10 comments:

Steph said...

Well, first of all, good for you for even considering defensive driving. I got a ticket about a year and a half ago, considered dd, but missed my deadline. I remember the same thought process.
I think I would probably end up just going to the class. It sounds the easiest to me b/c you don't have to try to take care of kids while you do it or spread it out over days. Although, I probably missed the deadline b/c I don't really like any of the options!

SA Photo Girl said...

I would take the class. Granted, I've never taken DD, but seeing as how I've done every kind of class there is (since I'm an idiot and have gone to school for so long), I would definately say go to the class. The main reason is the distractions of being at home (online & DVD) are just way too much and the course will drain you and none of the pros will actually matter. Some of your cons about getting out of the house can actually be pros. Sometimes it's nice to get out, even if it is to something that you wish you didn't have to do. Even if you take it at home, Jeff will still be watching the kiddos. Tough choice. I wish you good luck whichever option you choose.

Melody said...

For YOU, go to the class. Knock it out in 8 hours, you're DONE! I did it online, but that was with NONE of your same distractions.

Kristin said...

Since I am a defensive driving online pro that would be my choice. I've taken it so many times I don't even have to watch the videos even more and can still pass with flying colors (scary I know). FYI - if they ask you what the speed limit sign was in the video it's 30 mph. The nice thing is you can do it at your own pace and it's broken up in reasonable chunks. So you could conceivably do it over the course of a week after the kids go to bed. But since you would have so many distractions you might just want to go to the class.

Nicki said...

I have done all 3 of these options (yes, I am a terrible driver). I think IF I have to do one again, I'd go with the class. It gets it all done in one chunk, and you only have to motivate yourself to do ONE thing, as opposed to the multiple times to finish up the online and DVD courses. FYI - The comedian wasn't particularly funny, but it was still 150% better than the DRY DRY DRY online and DVD options.

Melissa's mom said...

Melissa, it is your civic duty to take the class. They need someone with your vast personal experience in motor vehicle incidents. And face it, you will thrive in the social setting - as long as you get to bed early the night before. The whole thing sounds like a blog waiting to happen.

Jeffry said...

Take the class...

You can entertain the teacher

ren said...

I had a hard time deciding because I was so busy laughing my heiny off at your post. I've taken the class, it was fine and over in a chunk. As for Jeff, I leave this comment from one of my fav pastors: "Butch up, Sally!" HAHA! Actually, I'm sure he could find something fun to do w/ them for a day!

Anonymous said...

I vote for the class - you'll probably be there with others and the feedback will help, plus make the day go by faster.

Grandmama

Tom H said...

Go to the class. You might meet some interesting people during breaks. I did it once about 20 years ago and it was fun.

Oh and...WOW! Your blog followers sure seem to get a lot of tickets.