Monday, June 1, 2009

Fun times in Albakerky.

I figure if I don't blog about my trip to Albuquerque right now... I never will. After all, I haven't posted Easter pics yet. Or Sea World. Or Mother's Day. Or fingerpainting. Or swimming out back in our new baby pool. Anyway... I refuse to make blogging a chore, so I put no pressure on myself. That keeps it enjoyable.

Anyway, here are the highlights of our trip to Albuquerque with Aunt Tiffany (my sis-in-law) for Memorial Day weekend:



It was so great to finally meet Noah, pictured here without his precious little blue glasses. He has such a great demeanor, especially given all that he's been through. He made big strides even in our short visit... chewing and swallowing new solid Veggie Sticks with ease, eating cheese, and even figuring out new ways to sneak food onto the floor. Over the shoulder, off the side, behind his back; He was so sly and innocent-looking.



Tiff and I talked Renee into going to Lowe's, picking out a paint color and repainting their entire living room! They had only been in the house one week when we arrived so we wanted to help her make it feel more like home. Before we started, each wall was a different color: sage green, maroon, dark orange, and light orange. Two days (and very late nights) later, it was a calm butter khaki color that we all loved. Mission accomplished, I hope! She plans to paint the back wall and the back of the shelves a cranberry color to match her drapes (they are just primed for now.) It's going to look awesome.

Renee and I attempt pics with our two squirmy worms. (Davis, 10 months, Noah 16 months)



It was hard to let the boys "play" together because Davis was in full-on "Get Those Glasses!" mode the entire time. He would NOT leave them alone. So between the wet paint and messing with Noah, Davis ended up contained much of our trip. Luckily he enjoys the pack-n-play and high chair more than most kids this age and all of Sammy and Noah's toys were new, so that helped. Don't feel too bad for him. You can see he just hated trying out Noah's "Johnny Jump-Up." That doorway has never looked so cute!



I showed Julie the pics from our trip and she said, "You know I don't really mean this the way it sounds, but Davis kinda looks like a little bully in those pics." Hmmm... I had to admit, he is pretty much pushing Noah around in almost every picture.


Awww... Poor little Noah. But, he held his own and didn't make a peep. He's a tough little guy.




Noah's older brother Sammy (3 yrs) was so cute and his sentences reminded me of Jack about one year ago. He asked me over and over, "What's your name again?" any time he was trying to come up with something to talk about. He talked about himself in third person just like Jack used to do. I was so impressed with his behavior and sweet spirit. He consistently uses his manners including, "May I please be dismissed?" when he wants to leave the table. So respectful. It was funny when he was praying on the second night he said, "Dear Jesus, thank you for letting our friends visit. Thank you for Auntie Tiff and Baby Davis and for "What's your name again?" Oh yes, Mrs. Griffin." I liked him calling me Mrs. Griffin, although I kept expecting to see my mother-in-law come around the corner. Sammy did not want his picture taken, so ... I have not a single one of him.

Me, Tiff, and Renee. Tiff and Ren have been best friends their first play date at three years old. They had some hilarious stories to share, but before each of the good ones Renee would say, "Now, you can't blog this..." So, I won't.

So, here's the most irritating part of the trip... even more irritating than having to breast-feed a 20-pound baby bully in a Southwest airline seat... I have lost all this weight and have (if I may say so myself) significantly flattened my tummy. So, we take this picture at the NM airport just before departure, and the wind is blowing so hard that it totally blows and fills up my shirt. That's right, just before we take the picture, the gust creates the perfect beer belly look in the ONE and ONLY picture the three of us took the WHOLE TRIP! You'll just have to take my word, that is NOT my real stomach... it's the wind.

The flight there consisted of wrestling a sleepy baby in our laps for two hours trying to keep him from grabbing the face of the Asian guy next to us. I wanted to say to him, "Could you just HOLD him, for goodness, sake? I mean, he obviously WANTS you and you can see that Tiff and I need a break!" I mean, it's not like he was going anywhere in the next two hours. Instead he just pretended to be reading much of the time, trying to act like he didn't realize I was feeding the baby two seats over.

The flight home, however, was much better because SOMEBODY got his OWN seat! Hallelujah.



That's right... pure bliss until the change in air pressure...



Uh, yeah... here's what the entire plane got to hear as we landed at 10:20pm. I am not sure who was crying louder, Davis, me, or Tiff. A kind woman came up to us and asked if she could do anything to help. She comforted me and shared a "been there, done that" Babes on a Plane story that made me feel better. Next time I fly with a Mom whose baby is losing his mind crying, I am going to go ask her if I can help her. It was really nice.

It was great to see Jack Everett (asleep in his Batman jammies in the back seat of Uncle Trey's truck) when we got to Houston. It was even better to finally pull into our driveway in San Antonio... five days after we left. The house was SPOTLESS when we got home and when I started putting away my cosmetics I saw that Jeff had totally re-done our bathtub while I was away. He cleaned it, replaced the shower liner, and tore out the old caulk and re-caulked it. What a nice surprise. It looks brand new. He kept saying, "I had finally just had enough." Yikes, was it that bad? Ooops.

Traveling alone with two kids is crazy, but the only things I managed to lose were the cell phone charger and the parent end of the baby monitor. Well... that is, AFTER Renee had to FedEx me Jeff's cell phone and a sippy cup.

Not bad, if you ask me. I'm ready to go again next year.

Hmmm... do I sense a new tradition?

post signature

4 comments:

Steph said...

Ughhh...the change in air pressure...I still cringe when I remember flying with the kids!

You look great- air gust or not! Your hair looks really good that length, too!

Julie said...

Okay I'm thinking that whole first paragraph was writtin as a lecture for me. Maybe not, but I get the point either way.

See- I was right about your hair. Steph seconds me on how great it looks!

Good thing you have the wind in your hair to prove the point about your shirt. Some good evidence for your argument.

I told a mom in the grocery store "Hang in there mom! I've been there" as her son was screaming at the top of his lungs in the grocery cart the other day. I definitely think words of encouragement from fellow moms are invaluable when received at just the right moment. Always makes me feel better like we're all in this mommy thing together, so I like to return the favor also.

ren said...

OK next time I will fix my hair for pictures haha. Still, we look pretty good for not showering all weekend! Love how you tell the tale of sneaky Noah pushing food off his tray! You should've seen him tonight trying to get away with that! The pic of the 2 of you both wearing your glasses is super cute, I love it! Sammy burst into tears the second you guys walked into the airport. He wants you all (including Jack) to come back and visit! We absolutely loved having you over. I hope many more adventures are in store!

Anonymous said...

I think I sense a tradition as well. Next year we'll remember the birth certificate, b/c Davis won't get through security so easily.