Monday, February 23, 2009

"Someone's Praying, Lord..."

Well, I got so caught up in sorting all the pictures of the wedding, I still haven't had a chance to blog about it. Heck, I just unpacked the last suitcase this morning! And I am not kidding. I did so much laundry today and three prayers were answered: I found my lost debit card, the marker stains came out of Jack's Easter vest, and my skinny jeans still fit after being dried accidentally.

Anyway, in rummaging through photos tonight I found this video taken from the National Lampoons Griffin Family Road Trip. I had totally forgotten about it. It cracks me up because I can just imagine how Jeff is feeling in this moment.

Let me set the scene: Oh gosh, it is making me laugh out loud just thinking about how to word it. It was the "home stretch" of the longest road trip in our family's history and we had just cleared some horrible 5 o'clock Austin traffic. We had listened to all of the Books on Tape we had checked out from the library, TWICE. Both boys had woken up from their naps, and Jeff's nerves were pretty much shot. Davis started getting upset, but Jeff was determined not to stop to feed him until we had made it into San Antonio. We finally turned on the Bible Songs CD, which, up to this point, had worked like magic every time Davis got upset.

So, as you watch this video, remember that at this particular point in the evening, it was Road Trip Day Two, we had heard this same CD six times in its entirety (since Jack WILL NOT allow you to skip any song under any circumstance) and had been in that packed car for NINE hours. I don't think Jeff was the least bit entertained by me videotaping.

The song is just the perfect touch...



Jack had used this new snake from Cracker Barrel to form every possible letter and number the snake's body could form. For about 100 miles, he even used it as a shaker to dance to the beat of the music. Ahh, precious family memories. Jeff... what a guy. You gotta love him. He never questioned (aloud) our decision to leave the DVD player at home.

If you wish to truly experience the road trip, watch this video on a continuous loop about 850 more times... stopping it only to eat, potty, nurse a baby, or change a diaper. Enjoy!

post signature

** Additional note: Jeff is responsible for proof-reading each blog post before I post it. When he read this one, even his comments cracked me up. He said, "Dang, even that 48 second video is ANNOYING. If I never hear that CD again in my whole life, it will be way too soon."

Kum ba Yah, Jeff, Kum ba Yah.

6 comments:

ren said...

LOL I'm cracking up. Kum Bah Yah itself makes me want to hurl, never mind with a road trip and crying on top of it! I'm glad you all survived :)

Steph said...

Glad you survived the road trip- I'm guessing y'all aren't up for another one anytime soon!
Love the new page by the way!

Julie said...

Yeah- I was always a big fan of Kub Bah Yah as a kid, but in that circumstance, it would get on my last nerve too.

Maybe if you had put down that camera, you could have done the hand motions for some entertainment value. I'm sure that would have done the trick (especially for Davis who couldn't even see you).

I don't think I'll try the 850 times thing- I get the drift.

Greg said...

Next time you might want to go straight to "Pass It On" complete with a fake campfire in the back seat. Ugh! I was getting sick before the 48 seconds were up!

Anonymous said...

Well, when the boys get a little oder and they can crawl around the back seat like Greg and I did, we can teach them a real fun "suffocation" game! Just ask Greg how that went on our vacations!

Mel

Anonymous said...

Are you kidding, Mel, I lost brain cells during that game. I think it's outlawed in most states now...but, it sure was fun back then.