Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Davis is 8 weeks old!

Okay, I just couldn't help myself. I still don't have Internet at home, but decided to go ahead and share a slew of pics from Baby Davis' 7th and 8th weeks on this big Earth. He is such a great baby, already revealing his own personality. Trying to get a picture of him smiling has proven to be a fun and silly challenge for the whole family. I hold him, Jeff holds the camera, and Jack Everett makes funny sounds and faces. Most of the time, Davis just looks at us like annoying paparazzi.





At his 2-month doctor's appointment today he weighed in at 10 pounds, 1 ounce. I can't believe it! Although I see him filling out and know he's growing, there is comfort in seeing it in writing and hearing it from our trusted pediatrician. While he still has a limited range of motion in his hips, there has been some improvement so we will continue the massage and exercise.



Little brother makes a few funny faces of his own. Jack laughs when Davis smiles... almost as much as when Davis toots. I am sure they will entertain each other in this manner for years to come.


Davis has a moderate case of "baby acne" which is starting to clear up. It is worst when he is upset and when he gets hot. When he first smiled, we were thrilled to discover that he has a dimple in his right cheek, just like his Uncle Greg. It's super sweet and kissable.

He is holding his head up quite well, and is starting to coo a little. He is very gassy and seems uncomfortable much of the time. He doesn't cry, he just fusses and fidgets and almost always seems to be hurting. It keeps him (and his mother) awake most of the day and has contributed to the baby-holding habit. The doctor recommended BioGaia probiotic drops (a natural good bacteria) to ease his gas and discomfort. In the meantime, we borrowed a swing from a friend, and it seems to help quite a bit. He really likes it and it has released Mommy to be more productive around the house and to spend more one-on-one time with Jack during the day.


Things continue to go really well on the Big Brother front. He absolutely loves his little brother and is enjoying seeing Davis start to bat his hands, kick his feet, and smile. He hated watching Davis suffer through his immunizations today. However, he kindly accepted the stickers on Davis' behalf for all the pain endured from the shots.

The main challenge for me so far -- Since Davis came home, Jack Everett has not stopped talking. Those of you who are around him often know that, in addition to the incessant chatter, Jack refers to himself in third person most of the time. So, all day I hear a running dialogue set on repeat mode: "Mommy, Jack is a crocodile. Mommy, Jack is a crocodile. Mommy, Jack is the Daddy crocodile, you are the Mommy crocodile, and Davis is the Baby crocodile. Okay, Mommy? Okay? Mommy, Jack wants to be called crocodile until night-night. When Daddy gets home, tell him Jack is a crocodile. Okay, Mommy?" I am not exaggerating. This goes on every day. All day. We are employing different techniques to curb the attention-seeking chatter without making him feel like we don't appreciate his imagination and great ideas.

It is clear now that Davis' babyhood is going to fly by. Jeff and I are afraid to blink. Before I know it, we'll be singing Happy Birthday to him, and our crocodile will be in Kindergarten. I am cherishing these days at home with the boys, knowing this is such a precious time in our lives.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Ahhhh! I love his little smile. Those are some adorable pics! I can't believe how fast he's growing and starting to look less like a newborn and more like a baby. I can remember being afraid of how fast that time went by also (and still does). I just try not to think about it too much- enjoy today.

Anonymous said...

He is so cute when he smiles! I can't wait to catch one myself and see that little dimple! Cute pics! i do need a really good one of them for my "Nephews" frame! Start shooting and looking for me.
Aunt Mel