Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Things are a'changin' in Griffintown.

Well, after several rounds of "How 'bout this? How 'bout that?," it became clear Friday that Methodist was not going to be able to offer me a part-time schedule that would make sense for our family. With so many changes and unknowns over the past year, one thing never wavered... how much I was missing spending quality time with my boys - all three of them. So, we took the plunge, and I gave notice at work. The team needs someone else. And I need something else.

I am grateful to Methodist for many things. First, they took a chance on me after I'd been a stay-at-home Mom for 18 months. In HR, that's an eternity. This job gave me the chance to launch a social media campaign, which is awesome on my resume. It allowed me to design, market, and create. In HR, that can be rare. It also introduced me to some amazing people with whom I know I'll keep in touch for a LONG long time.

I loved the work when I was there, but at the end of the day (or week), I couldn't ever seem to turn it off. The pace is too much for me, especially when I struggle so with how much time the boys were spending at daycare, and guilt over some the influence it has had on Davis.

I am not sure how we are going to make ends meet, but trust that God will reward our obedience to the call to return to Him and return to the family. I am excited about the Thirty-one business and the timing of getting into it. I have booked six total parties so far and look forward to filling even more slots before Christmas. I also have my feelers out in case a part-time Human Resources role happens upon me, but won't be actively looking until at least after the New Year.

I am SO excited to be home again, and am thankful for these past 10 months, because I will enjoy the time that much more now that I know the frantic, chaotic alternative.

On top of all that change, guess who poo-pooed in the potty yesterday?!! Davers! Yes, the same boy who has slept the past THREE nights in his BIG BOY toddler bed! Wow, I can't wait to get to know him again.

post signature

3 comments:

Steph said...

So happy for you and relate to your joy of staying home after having to go to work. It's a struggle in different ways for either choice, but even with the stress of not being comfortable financially, I always feel so good when I am able to take my kids to school, be there for them for all of their parties and lunches at school, and be there for them after school. Not to mention all of the time they have off of school and being home for them. And with Davis still being so little I know you will cherish being able to be home with him again. Enjoy your time at home and a slower pace of life!

Anonymous said...

Mel, I'm glad you have peace about this. There's no easy answers here, but I can say that Elisa and I have always struggled with the decision for her to stay home or work. It's definitely not easy, but we've always been able to make ends meet, even when it didn't work out on paper. In fact, right now, Elisa has so many freelance clients she doesn't know how she can get it all done! Enjoy this time at home, and things will work out financially.

Unknown said...

I LOVE the end to your story! :) LOL! Only a mom could be so excited over something kinda icky (but necessary). :)

I must admit...I'm a tad bit jealous but INCREDIBLY happy for you and your boys (all 3). I pray that God blesses y'all in ways you never imagined! xoxoxoxo