Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Our five-trick pony...

It is so amazing to see these babies demonstrate that they can learn new things. Millions of connections are being made every day in that curious little brain, but it takes a while for the results to become visible to an expectant Mommy and Daddy. Well, they are starting to show up in Davis and I am just as amazed watching him as I was the first go-round.

Here are some of our blondie's newest tricks, none of which are actually useful except as an endless source of entertainment.

Act 1: "Pat, Pat, Pat."



Act 2: "The wave."

Act 3: "The bbbtthmhthhmhbbbb....."


Act 4: "Dada." (Well, 1 out of 2 parents in this house think that is what he's saying.)

Act 5: This just happened about two hours ago and I was pretty shocked. You can hear in my shrill, annoying narration how excited and surprised I was when our little "Davis in the Box" revealed this new skill.

You can see Jack was just as surprised as we were when Davis "boosted" himself. Oh, and it's time to lower the crib mattress. Fun times.

So, what happens when Baby Davis doesn't do his tricks on command?



That's right. He has to get down and give me twenty. Actually, his unsuccessful attempts at crawling usually result in these little baby push-ups.

Next trick on the docket: We've begun teaching him Sign Language in hopes of replacing the shrieky Pteradactyl cries with the simple sign for "MORE." I am told (and will simply have to trust) that it's not too early to start, so we are giving it a try.

Today at lunch Jack signed "more" and repeated OVER and OVER... "More, Dave? Do you want more? Do this, Dave. Look, Dave. Do this. DAaaaVIS!"

He finally said, "Momma, he won't even look at me! I think the first word we need to teach him is his name."

post signature

5 comments:

ren said...

Wow he is sooo strong! Way to go Davis!

Steph said...

Wow, lots of cool new tricks! I was trying to think of how old Autumn & Shelby were when they actually started signing "more" and "milk". I think I started with them around 7 months, too, and it wasn't too long before they caught on. And Davis is already waving so he could easily sign "more" pretty quickly.

Julie said...

I love the way he seems just as fascinated with his patting as you do.
But the "boosting" up thing, he was just cool as a cucumber. Like- "Yes people, I can stand up. Nothing to it."
Really very cute!!

Anonymous said...

What a little character -- just ready to perform (even on command). How precious he is, and so wonderful to see how excited his Big Brother is over all the things Davis does! A real postive influence for Little Brother!

Love ya, NANA

Kristin said...

What a little beefcake! And actually you made the pregnant woman cry on the last video because I could hear the pride and love (and surprise) in your voice when he stood up. I can't wait to record my own videos!