Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Photos with Santa

Monday morning we decided to head out for pictures with Santa. We drove all the way out to Rolling Oaks Mall (20-25 minutes) because they are the only elves in town who allow Moms to take pictures with their own cameras. That is, if you purchase the minimum photo package, of course. They are also the only crew in town who seem to allow time for Santa to really talk with each child for an extended period of time.

Anyway, we arrived at about 1:20pm to see this sign:



Jack was very disappointed, but I explained, "Son, there will be many many more times in your life when people will misuse apostrophes." With that, we headed to Chic-fil-A.

By the time we got back to Santa's workshop, we were about third in line. I picked up Davis and quickly realized he had a serious poopy diaper. Believe me, I debated... but decided I just couldn't do that to poor ol' Santa. Helpy Helperton, the elf on duty, informed me that the closest bathroom was upstairs in JCPenney... four stores away with a broken elevator (come to find out.) So, by the time we get back to the workshop, there are about four families in line. No problem, except that Davis is now re-he-eally fussy.

So, while breastfeeding on a mall bench, Jack informs me he is no longer interested in seeing Santa. Ah yes, by now we are deep in the heart of nap time.

Well, I am not proud, but I quickly made up a story about how Santa writes down what each kid wishes for... and then staples it to his picture to make sure he remembers the right boy... and "we wouldn't want Santa to look back at Jack Griffin's picture and say, "Wow, what a grouchy boy!" now, would we?" Jack immediately says, "Momma, I am going to look right at the camera and smile so Santa will remember that Jack is a boy who behaves!" Okay, not a suggestion I would publish in my upcoming parenting book, but that's exactly how it happened.

So, I finish nursing Davis, now completely milk-drunk, and he cannot keep his eyes open. Jack and I bounce him, sing to him, and pretty much try anything to keep him awake. No luck.

Here are the priceless pics:



I feel like I should be on a Suave commercial:

"One of these moms paid $21.99 for a professional photo package. The other mom used one click of her free digital camera. Which one was it? We're not telling!"

Despite what could have been a stressful experience, I actually enjoyed every minute of it... "...Laughing all the way! Ha Ha Ha!..." I wished I had Laura and Julie with me... I will remember that next year.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you email mamalogues at yahoo dot com about an important issue? Thanks.

Julie said...

If Laura and Julie are gonna be there to help next year, you're gonna have to get going a little earlier :-) I like how you call it morning but you arrived at 1:20pm.
Okay, enough teasing.
The pictures turned out adorable!!!! I wish we could have joined you.
Apparently grammar school is not a requirement when applying for the position of Santa's helper. The really sad thing is that I bet 90% of people didn't notice.
I was nervous writing that comment that there might be a typo. No worries- I know you'll inform me if there is!
Apparently that wasn't enough teasing after all.
Okay, I think I'm done now.

Steph said...

Well, at least you got a super cute picture out of the deal! Don't they know that Santa needs to be positioned very closely to the bathroom?? That's just torture for us parents.

I dont' see anything wrong with that poster. Santas just feeding his reindeers.

Anonymous said...

First of all, tell "mamalogues at yahoo dot com" to hit the road!! You're not invading anyone's space. She should look to your blog as an example of truly intelligent and entertaining writing.

Now for the question about which picture...I say you took the one on the right. Right?