Tuesday, December 23, 2008

All I want for Christmas...

... is a clear airway.

Davis has RSV and a double ear infection. You know what they say about breast-fed-stay-at-home babies... always sick. We took him to the Methodist Emergency Room Sunday night and I am glad we did. He is on antibiotics and he takes them about as gracefully as he takes a bottle. I just hope antibiotics work when dripping down his chin onto his clothes. Maybe he soaks them in? We do the best we can to continually suction his airways with saline and the aspirator, but his little hoarse voice and cough are enough to break your heart.

The second verse to that song is that Jack has developed a little cold himself. As warned, RSV is highly contagious, so we were expecting that he would come down with it too. Luckily older kids don't usually develop more than common cold symptoms. So, we are keeping plenty of hand sanitizer, Tylenol and Kleenex around.

On another note, the little man broke a new mold... for the first time since we became parents 4 1/2 years ago... a baby slept in our bed. It was only five hours, but we couldn't stand the thought of him having a breathing attack/episode in another room and us not hearing it on the monitor. Suffice it to say, we were quickly reminded why we have never done this. Only one person slept well that night - but he was the only one who mattered.

4 comments:

Steph said...

I hope Davis feels better soon, poor baby. I do know my breast-fed-stay-at-home baby was always sick. Don't get me wrong, I am pro-breast-feeding and wouldn't have done it any other way, but Shelby was (is) always sick. It was just ironic that Autumn, who was barely bf, was never sick and was in daycare as a baby. Just different immune systems I guess.
Anyways, I hope everyone is feeling better by Christmas at least!

ren said...

Oh how awful, how scary! That makes me so sad to hear and I am praying for him! Noah's been more sick than Sam ever has, but I'm convinced it's b/c of Sam and the children he's around that Noah gets it. Anyway... the Johnson & Johnson vapor bath helps open up the airways, and this too: you could try putting him in a bouncer in the bathroom w/ you while you take a super hot shower. Love to you all....

Emily said...

Ahhh, your holiday is sounding a lot like mine. After I talked to you on Friday I took Evan to the after hours clinic here in BR where we learned he has an ear infection! Today he has a temperature of 102 and is coughing like a 50-yr smoker! LOVELY! He's still playing - just grumpier than usual. I'm sure our flight back on Friday will be grand! Merry Christmas!

Emily said...

I highly recommend a warm-mist humidifier with a medicine cup so you can add Vicks vapor goo to the steam! Evan's sleeping well because of it...