Tuesday, February 26, 2008

My TWO sons!

That's right... we found out this morning that Jack is going to have a little
BROTHER!

From head to hiny, he measures about 10 cm, and we are about 18 1/2 weeks along -- almost half way there.

It is amazing how our little family was redefined today. I will soon be saying, "the boys" and "my sons." I love it. Jack will have a little brother looking up to him, and wearing his hand-me-downs. The tubs and tubs of boy clothes I have in the garage are ready to be filled. And, since I am due the same week as Jack's birthday, they will certainly be the right season! The nursery is ready - well, when we get it cleaned up it will be. Thoughts like these raced through my mind today - what an exciting day. I am SO glad my awesome boss gave me the day off today... I would have been totally distracted and daydreaming, not to mention consumed with personal calls. I learned this lesson last time when I had to go back to work at Capital Group after finding out Jack was a boy! I was worthless and just wanted to go shopping.


Baby Boy Griffin's little profile, with his right hand up to his forehead. He's cute already!
-----

So, about a little girl. Yes, there is a tinge of disappointment when I think about the fact that I will most likely never have a daughter. It is a little sad to think that I will always be "the mother-in-law" and that I will not likely get to be "mother of the bride." But, the truth is, I have never been a hair and nails kind of girl and the thought of pre-teen dramatics and first dates, hormones, and prom dresses send me into panic mode. If my daughter were to say some of the ugly things to me that I said to my Mom in those awkward know-it-all years (about age 10 to 18), I don't think I could have handled it as lovingly and graciously as she did.

Anyway, I am sure we would have loved having a little girl, but God gave us boys and we are so glad He did.

So, some of you out-of-towners have asked for a picture of me, so here is a side view of my little baby bump at 4.5 months. You gotta love elastic.

5 comments:

ren said...

Tiff told me the exciting news. I'm so glad Jack will have a little buddy to play with! And your little belly looks so cute. Glad to rejoice with you!

cristina said...

CONGRATS!

i just started reading dobson's "bringing up boys" (did i even remember the title right?) maybe you'd like to join me in that. :)

do i hear the creation of a book discussion blog?

thanks for posting the picture--you look great!

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS!!!!!
-Joe Rogers

Melissa's mom said...

For a brief moment I thought you were having twins! Then I thought, surely Melissa wouldn't first announce twins on her blog. So I looked at the sonogram - just one!

Then you mentioned something about ugly things you said to your mother in your teen years and I must say I have no idea what you're talking about. It must be one of those tricks of God - like how you forget the pain of childbirth enough to go through it again.

Don't give up so soon on having a daughter. My daughter is an incredible woman who constantly amazes me. I am her biggest fan.

Julie said...

He's just so darn cute already! Can't wait to see how much cuter he'll look once he's outta there! Another little boy to add to the playdate bunch! Alli will be glad to remain the only princess.
BTW- count me in for the book discussion blog about "bringing up boys" I could use a little help with TJ already :-)