Thursday, November 19, 2009

"When did THAT happen?"

I often (QUITE OFTEN these days) find myself wondering when things changed for me. When did it happen that I became less cool and more old? When did I start using terms like "square" and "shenanigans?" When did MTV Real World go from entertaining me to making me sad that these children are not getting wise counsel from their parents? When did I start feeling like Lisle and Hahn on KISS FM were offensive? When did I start paying attention to the Speed Limit? When did I start checking the Weather Channel? When did I start caring about Healthcare Reform? When did I start feeling like the neighbors need to turn down that music!? When did I start wondering where those teenagers' parents are? It's gradual.

When did I start feeling like 9:00 was too late to START something? When did I start using coupons? When did I start thinking that movie is too inappropriate or that random girl's dress is too short? When did I start caring about the cost of parking? I had a job interview the other day and when she walked in... it was a girl from my high school. Class of '98. SHE's interviewing ME?! She's just a kid! Oh wait. I use words like IRA and Flexible Spending Account. It's also starting to become harder for me to get up from sitting on the ground.

Anyway, these specific moments hit me every once in a while to remind me, "Holy cow, I am a grown-up. I am really not that cool any more!"

Well, I had another one yesterday:

When I spoke about Food Allergies as the guest speaker at the PTA Meeting.

SERIOUSLY?


post signature

4 comments:

cristina said...

well, that was funny and i was laughing, then i remembered i'm OLDER THAN YOU ARE!!!

:)

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHA. And when did you start BELIEVING your niece. TODAY. :) im so proud of you. you'll always be the aunt who WAS "cool". lol. just kidding. love you.!
-Lacey

Julie said...

I don't know when it happened to you 'cause I still don't know when it happened to me either, but I am so there with you. I'm definitely still cool though and so are you. Is "cool" even cool to say anymore? I'm not sure about that one.
The getting up off the ground thing bothers me the most.
Oh, and I may have had some influence in the coupon thing- sorry about that, but they rock!

Melody said...

I AM the coupon QUEEN, Julie! I have one for just about everything! Or can find one! I know I am old. I have a daughter in college, I know that qualifies me.

And I know I look old when random people think, you, Melissa are my daughter!

Oh well, old is better than the alternative I guess. Or maybe not!