Saturday, November 21, 2009

A bit of a wreck.

For those who don't know, we were heading to meet Emily and Evan for lunch Thursday morning when Davis and I were in a car accident on 1604/Bandera Road. The other driver ran her red light and hit us at the end of our left turn. Our car spun around and when we came to rest, Davis' carseat was laying competely over on its side and he was screaming his head off. Thankfully, as soon as we lifted him out of the car, he immediately stopped crying and seemed okay. He had a minor seatbelt bruise on his neck/left collarbone and some faint markings on his right temple. Jack Everett was at school and Nana went to pick him up while we headed to the hospital.

The other driver, a woman in her fifties, was truly apologetic. She started really crying as she helped me get Davis out of the car. We hugged and I assured her the baby would be okay. I really felt bad for her, but was relieved when she admitted, "I was trying to beat the light." Two witnesses were willing to give recorded statements about her light being red.

We were both checked out at Methodist Hospital and were sent home within a few hours. We feel very lucky and know God protected us from real harm. I am extremely sore because (as we have established) I am no longer a spring chicken. My neck and back are painful and stiff and I have been alternating heating pads and muscle relaxers to manage the discomfort. Davis was uncharacteristically fussy Thursday and Friday but his appetite and cheery disposition seemed to return this morning. He has been taking unusually long naps, but Ask-a-nurse said that is to be expected.

When I got home from the hospital Thursday night, a note was waiting for me, "For Mom and Davis, I hope you feel betor from the hospital. From Jack"



My '99 Honda CR-V. If this had happened just a second sooner, she would have smashed directly into Davis' door. Instead, the rear quarterpanel took the brunt of the impact and his door was bent in only on the corner. The rear axle is bent and the right tire is angled in quite a bit. We are awaiting a judgment on liability and a determination of whether the car is totalled (which we fully anticipate due to its age and condition.)

Mom took me today to replace Davis' carseat, which will be covered in the insurance settlement. I got emotional at Enterprise Rent-a-car, again in the Babies 'R Us carseat aisle, and again when Mom got into her car to leave. I am still shaken up but am overcome with thankfulness when I stop to think about how much worse it could have been.

Tonight at dinner Jack said, "We better not spend any of our money. If the car people say they can't fix your car, you can have ALL my money from my money book. If not, I will STILL save my money from my money book. Just in case."

It was a sweet natural invitation to remind him that as we wait, we trust that God will continue to provide ALL of our needs.

post signature

6 comments:

cristina said...

oh, my sweet friend! i join you in praising God that you and davis and the other driver are okay. and i praise Him for that a wonderful grace-filled reaction you had for that lady--Jesus was showing on you!

love you!

cristina said...

oh, my sweet friend! i join you in praising God that you and davis and the other driver are okay. and i praise Him for that a wonderful grace-filled reaction you had for that lady--Jesus was showing on you!

love you!

Steph said...

I'm so glad you are both okay. Wrecks are always a scary situation- but much scarier when your little ones are in the car. God was definitely watching over you and Davis.

Julie said...

Praying for God's provision during all of this and praising Him for the protection He provided.

Ann said...

Oh, the thought of the life of your child in someone else's hands. So scary. Let me know if I can do anything. Jack is soooooo sweet. You must realize you already have everything you need. Love you guys.

Kristin said...

I am so glad you're both ok! I can't even imagine how horrifying that must have been.