Thursday, July 22, 2010

Incentives rock.

We recently instituted a Rock Jar for Jack to reward him for unprompted use of his manners and for helping without being asked. He gets a rock when he clears the table without being asked, gets into the shower the FIRST time we ask, or when he doesn't talk back when he's told "NO." We never take rocks away... at this point. It's not really to curb misbehavior... it's just to reinforce that we appreciate how good he is 97% of the time.

When we got the jar, we quickly realized the rocks we bought were really small. So, I created a "GOAL" line with a piece of tape... so we could move it up as he progressed. When he reached the first line, he got to go to the theater to see "How to Train Your Dragon." Near the end there, we had to shift it into high gear before the movie went to DVD. He pretty much got a rock for EVERY polite thing he said.

As with any reward system I have tried, it started off swimmingly. My days were filled with "yes ma'am" and "May I get the door for you?" and "I cleared the table, see?".

As usual, it wasn't long before this attempt at organized recognition turned against us a bit. These instances mostly make me laugh, but also make me question the activity altogether.

Overheard in my house:

Jack: "Mom, watch what I am about to do in case you might want to give me a rock."
Mom: "Jack, just focus on the behavior, not on the rock."
===========

Mom: "Jack, Please pick up the living room because Daddy is on his way."
Jack: "Is the mess the right size for a rock?"
===========

Jack: "Mom, if you had a rock jar, you would probably lose one right now."
Mom: "Excuse me?..."
J: "Well, I asked for milk once. Then I asked for it two times and I still don't have milk."
M: "Jack, honey, I did not hear you, and you're not being very respectful talking to Mommy right now. Mommy does not lose or gain rocks."
J: "Mom, just focus on the behavior, not on the rocks."
(oh, yes he did.)
===========

Yeah, the whole "Manners ROCK!" idea has been a bit rockier than I had hoped. I do hear FAR more "yes ma'ams" than I did before we implemented it. But, there's a blurry line between rewarding behaviors that are extraordinary vs. acknowledging basic minimum expectations.

But as soon as I think these behaviors really should just be expected, I think about my days at work. Here I am 31 years old, and I am a professional, receiving a good salary. It's EXPECTED that I am going to hire a certain number of people... and EXPECTED that I turn in quality work... and that I arrive on time for duty. But, man, it sure feels good when I get a "WOW Card" or a "Great Job" every once in a while. It is satisfying to look over and see Thank you cards on my wall as a reminder that someone noticed me and that my efforts are not taken for granted.

Bottom line, as long as getting a rock puts a smile on his proud little face, we'll keep it up.

Jack Everett, we're incredibly proud of you, buddy. You are far beyond a mother's wildest expectations. Forgive us if we take your efforts for granted. You try so hard and we notice.

No amount of rocks could show how much you are loved and appreciated.

However, it looks like about three more rocks will get you that ticket to Fiesta Texas.



post signature

4 comments:

Steph said...

I love the idea! I was cracking up at Jack's comments! We do a similar thing with our coins now where the girls are trying to get up to 100 for a big prize(I've never named the prize so "big" is all relative). We'll forget about doing it for a while sometimes but if I mention giving or taking away coins, they are on their A game. Nothing is worse to them than taking away a coin!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, I laughed so hard at the last one. Clever guy! When I did something similar with students one of the rules was you will never be rewarded when you ask for the reward, it has to be caught. And... not every act will be rewarded. Yeah, those were addendum rules for me. Oh and one thing that they liked was when I had a secret prize. I asked them to brainstorm all the things they would like to earn. I wrote them down and said I was going to randomly pick one, write it down, and seal it in an envelope. When they earned the tokens, they got to open the envelope and see what they earned. It's amazing what kids will work for. Sometimes the things they asked to work for were really simple.
tiff

cristina said...

incentives for being caught doing "sweet" things have been going on a couple of months here... we also have chosen not to take points away.

one early stipulation: if you ask for the sweet point, you're not getting it. BUT it is okay to point out what your sibling has done. they work collectively for 100 points a month for a fun outing.


hoping to see you sometime this year!

Anonymous said...

UPDATE ME ON MY NEPHEWS, PLEASE!!

Aunt Mel