Thursday, March 25, 2010

Still adjusting to Jungle Mania.

Toddler Room, Day Four:



This breaks my heart. I knew there would be a transition period into the new big-boy classroom, but the thought of my sweet baby being grumpy, hungry, undernapped and constipated while I am at work is almost more than I can stand. To top it off, the teacher (who, according to the birthday bulletin board was born in 1988) feels that it's time to stop letting him have "woobie" at naptime.

This just doesn't feel right, but I don't know what to do. Really, is ANY daycare going to be good enough for my baby? I could move him all over town and there will ALWAYS be SOMETHING I don't like, right? Or, should I trust my instincts and say there could be something better? I mean, all week I have been praying for them to describe my charming, zany baby as something other than grumpy. I'd probably lose my mind if they marked him a Terrible Tiger! I mean, I understand the awkward attempt at animal alliteration, but who calls a 20-month-old TERRIBLE??

Why does it take me so long to come to terms with my decisions about working? This ongoing internal conflict is exhausting. When I tell myself to "give it to God" I'm starting to think I don't really know how to do that. When I think I've done it, it feels more like I've said, "just don't think about it too much or you'll get upset." When I start to get upset again, I tell myself, "Remember, you gave it to God, right?"

I am going to give Davers time to adjust to the new classroom and focus on the silver linings (he seems to be talking a little more and is getting better with a spoon...) I have to remind myself that several families at our church have had their kiddos at this daycare and love it, and they have a great reputation in the community.

If I am going to be fully engaged at work and avoid getting depressed at home, I am going to have to find some peace with this situation. The very little time I have with my boys is so precious and I am praying that I can rediscover a way to truly enjoy it.


post signature

7 comments:

SA Photo Girl said...

Have you thought about an in-home daycare or registered in-home sitter? Samuel was at a daycare and I liked it but he got bit seven times. The last time I couldn't take it anymore so I took him out. I called my Lifeworks for some in-home referrals and I got three. One of them is my current babysitter. She is another grandma to my son and is absolutely wonderful!!! There is always some trade off when you switch to in-home, but the benefits are great. I really feel like Samuel is in a home away from home. Let me know if you have any questions about in-home vs. daycare and I'll tell you all about it. :)

ren said...

It hurts my heart just to read about your struggle. I'm praying for you, friend!

Anonymous said...

My heart breaks just reading about this precious little boy in terms like these! All I see (most of the time) is the happy, lovable little face and the active & curious little boy that he is! I've prayed & prayed for the new situation he's in, but am convinced I've not prayed enough! God is still in the details --He'll give a solution.
I'm praying for both you & Jeff.
NANA

Steph said...

Good luck Melissa- I remember feeling similar when I went back to work for a few months after Shelby was born. I really struggled that time- partly because she was nursing and wouldn't take a bottle so I felt like I was starving my child. It is so hard when they are little. I don't know the answers but I am praying for you.

Cassie said...

Well I don't have any comments about the daycare / working situation, but totally ignore their comment (or tell them to mind their own business)about the wooby. Natalie still uses hers and it's of great comfort in new sitations and sleeping. My sister didn't give her's up until kindergarden and she turned out to be a well adusted mom of 2 little girls.

Julie said...

Yes, definitely ignore the woobie comment no matter what you decide- that is his security and he needs it!
Sometimes listening to that uneasiness within us IS "giving it to God." Maybe He's trying to reveal something to you. I'm not saying that is the case, but something to consider (especially since this isn't the first "problem" you've had there).
A friend of mine had her little girl at Buttons and Bows (right across the street from Grace Point) for a long time and absolutely loved it. They have a Christian curriculum and I'm pretty sure have after school childcare also. Maybe something to check out if you decide to look elsewhere.
Praying for you and sweet Davis. That must be so hard getting that report.

Anonymous said...

Hi Melissa, I soooo feel your pain. I struggled about taking Bryce to daycare (after Bodie told me she couldn't do it anymore) We called around and went for meetings with potential daycares. HATED them all!! Then we found, or God sent us to Angel's Daycare. It's an in-home daycare and Bryce LOVES, LOVES, LOVES it. He doesn't even give me a hug or kiss goodbye, he just runs in to see his "friends". Alyssa our granddaughter goes too and she is so beyond ready for kinder. She knows all her numbers 0-20 in Spanish, French and English, and so much more. Ms. Liz is FAB - U - LOUS!! Bryce is so happy and at home!! Let me know if you want any information.
(((HUGS)))) E~