Thursday, August 23, 2007

Jack Everett's First Open House!

Tuesday night was a big night for me as a Mommy. It was Open House for Jack Everett's first year of Preschool. We were so excited when we got the call that Jack's name had come up on the waiting list at our home church, GracePoint Church, two days per week. What an answered prayer!
I have always had a hard time leaving him in the care of others, and have special anxiety surrounding mealtime and snacks. Oh, and about bug spray. Oh, and naptime. Oh, and diluting his juice and pottying. Anyway, other than that.... Oh, and his schedule and sunscreen, I am pretty much easy-going when it comes to parenting. *sigh

I have been so excited about him starting school at GracePoint because I already know the director, Julie, and most of the Childhood Ministries staff, and they all know and love "No Snack Jack" as they nicknamed him at just one year old. He has really grown up in their care, and we have experienced nothing but love and extreme caution with his diet.
.
So, given how thankful I am for his spot in the young 3's classroom, I was surprised by the flood of emotion, okay tears, that welled up when I arrived in the church parking lot Tuesday evening. I saw the other children getting out of their cars, most were just like Jack - wearing new, dressy clothes, hair extra neat, and all seemed really excited. Some were timid, and others looked like old pros. (And I'm talking about the Mommies.)
.
When I got into the room - a room I have been in several times on Sundays and during VBS, it looked completely different. (And not just because it was blurred from tears.) I saw it through different eyes. This was where my baby would have his first true classroom experiences. This is where he would first have a Valentine's party, where he would first have workbooks, a curriculum... He has been in daycare before, for short stints, but never a "real school." When we went in, Jack Everett immediately dropped my hand, ran over to the toys, and planted himself at a small table to play. I know he is ready. He kept an eye on me, but seemed really comfortable. He will love it there.
.
The teachers gave us a daily schedule, a copy of the monthly Abeka curriculum, a list of the Bible memory verses of the month, and a menu. For most children with allergies (there are 6 at the school who also have to have EpiPens with them at all times) their parents just cross out what their children cannot eat, and provide a substitute for those items on those days. For me, there are very few things that he can have, so I plan to provide all of his breakfast/lunch/snacks every day. This requires more preparation and organization on our part but gives us a peace of mind while he is there.

So, one of the Moms sees that I am a little weepy and comes over to put her arm around me. I didn't think anyone could tell, but I guess they could... So, she says, "Well, Community Bible Church is hosting a Bible Study Monday morning when school starts for Moms with Separation Anxiety." I felt embarrassed and had to laugh, especially when I told her he was just coming two days per week! I told her I would be just fine.
.
Jack Everett's classmates in Room 101.

(I figured I was the only Mom who would take a picture of the roll sheet. Then, Heather sent me her Open House pics and she had taken a picture of Lawton's name on Room 103. So, maybe I am not so crazy after all.)

...Jack thinks he sees someone eyeing "his" zebra...

Jack got a bit worried when a classmate started getting too close to "his" legos. Good thing the "Fruit of the Spirit" for August is SHARING.

Mommy and Jack meet his two teachers. They were great!

Lawton Marie, Jack's best friend since birth, will be in the class right next door. After touring her classroom, she came to check out his class too!

I can't believe they are three! Jack and Lawtie look so cute together.

Ready for big boy school! Who can resist that face?

"You're embarrassing me. Noone else's Mommy has a camera!"

So, another adventure of Mommyhood begins. Monday, the 27th is his first day. Just in case, I am going to keep a box of Kleenex at my desk.

No comments: